Commissioner For A Day: Doomsday Edition

Doomsday

Commissioner For A Day: Doomsday Edition

9b8db615a2b04bdc96aefba8618cff91.jpg

The work of the commissioner of a sim league is something that is largely overlooked on a day-to-day basis, yet something immediately noticed when it goes wrong. It takes a lot of work to make a sim league last, and veterans of leagues can attest to how many leagues of the past fizzled out quickly due to this. The designing, planning, and implementing of a brand new league is the fun part, the draw to being a commissioner. But once challenges begin to emerge, being able to press on and keep the league running takes tremendous focus and discipline, especially for a league like the VHL that is now in its 89th season. The fact that the league itself is older than some of the members in it is practically unheard of, and surely never something people expected to happen around this very time back in 2007. But yet, here we are.

Being tasked with being commissioner for a day is a fun task, and one I can see generating a plethora of interesting ideas. But this article is about my ideas, so I have avoided reading others so far. That being said, there is one thing I anticipate being a common theme in these articles, so I will begin mine by…

NOT KILLING THE VHLE

Nope.avi | Know Your Meme

That would be the easy, coward's way to that sweet, sweet uncapped TPE. Instead, we're going to make the VHLE stronk. Build it up, give it the credibility it deserves. There is ten seasons of history here, which is being rather woefully neglected. The problem there, however, is a lack of people able to work on the Portal, which leads directly into my first course of action:

TRAIN/HIRE PEOPLE TO WORK ON THE PORTAL

Future War Stories: August 2012

The Portal is perhaps the most important addition to the VHL in the history of the league, yet is also perhaps the most delicate aspect of the league. It is capable of incredible things, but one wrong button press or code can bring the whole thing down and grind the league to a halt. Unsurprisingly, this means that the only individuals capable of working on it must not only be trustworthy, but qualified and knowledgeable with coding. With the departure of Dil, this leaves primarily Josh for Portal-related matters, which is a tremendous burden. Simply put, the league needs help in this area. Either trustworthy individuals must be trained to work on minor tasks with the Portal, or help must be sought from outside the VHL itself. The way it is now is simply unsustainable, and must change for the long-term good of the VHL.

Getting this help means that the history of the VHLE can finally be added to the Portal in the Hall of Fame, giving it the legitimacy it deserves. Additionally, extra hands can handle tasks such as updating award winners and league statistics, and ensuring that everything is reflected correctly on the Portal. Even if major, complicated tasks are left to Josh, the extra hands can keep these smaller tasks from bogging up and putting even more on his plate. 

ADJUSTMENTS: VHLE

Adjusting Your Marketing Focus | GoSmallBiz.com

Additionally, there are some tweaks to be made to the VHLE. One of the biggest issues I have seen with the league that it ultimately turns into a graveyard for inactive players that have earned their way into the league, but leaves them stuck there. However, there need to be enough bodies in the VHLE to field full rosters, so eliminating inactives, like the VHLM does, creating a curious predicament. My idea to curb that is as follows: 

A player is deemed to be inactive after going four consecutive point task weeks without a single update or forum post.

An inactive player cannot be placed higher on the depth chart than an active player at the same position (forward, defense, or goalie) with the exception of it causing an invalid STHS lineup.

Rights to a player are held for two VHLE seasons, and seasons spent in the VHLM do not count against this. After those two seasons, a player still in the VHLE becomes a free agent, and may be signed/claimed for another two seasons. Once a player plays a VHL season, their VHLE rights are reset and they are considered a free agent if they would return to the VHLE. 

MLB probing Astros back to '17, '⃜firm' discipline possible

These changes address a number of issues seen in the VHLE. To start, this adds an official distinction between active and inactive players, and gives an immediate preference to active players without shedding the inactives altogether. To discourage teams from amassing inactives to field a roster, rights only last for two seasons, returning the inactives to the waiver wire. Active players should be the primary building blocks, and this change ensures that. Combined with adding the history and accomplishments of VHLE players to the Portal, this would be the biggest boost the league has gotten since the inaugural season back in S80.

I am sure there are tons of articles from people using this theme to advocate for the end of the VHLE, but sometimes the "obvious" solution is one that will create additional problems and work down the line. By removing the league, you displace dozens of players and create a further crunch on the cap situation of the VHL teams as well. It doesn’t seem right to me to just abandon the VHLE without any sort of attempt at all to improve or fix any of the issues related to it. The VHL didn't reach the doorstep of 90 seasons by giving up on things, it did so through perseverance and the collaborative brainpower of the league's brightest minds. 

The VHLE hasn't been perfect, but that's exactly why it should be looked into more. Let's find ways to improve the process, make it a better stepping stone for those who need it, and an enjoyable experience for those passing through to the VHL. My challenge to you: let's work together and make this the best it can be!