If the VHL Play-off started today: North American Conference

Gaikoku-hito

If the VHL Play-off started today!!

Here we are a week or ten days from the VHL Play-offs and I thought it would be interesting to look at the possible match-up.

European Conference is already done so now time to unpick the mess of North American Conference.

Current Standing as I write this sees

1. Seattle

2. Vancouver

3. Calgary

4. LA

4. D.C.

4. New York

Let me be honest and why I wrote this one second, I am not sure how position in place of tie or a three-way tie will be determined. I am wins would be one of the first way to break a tie and maybe even head-to-head standings. I am going with wins to start as I also think the head-to-head does currently favor these teams anyways since LA is 4-1 over NY & 1-0-1 against D.C.

LA will make the wildcard & DC would also make the Wildcard based on wins and head-to-head against NY as they are 4-2-1 in the current regular season series; as it stands at the moment but with D.C. and LA head-to-head for at least four more games in the last ten. I would expect one of these teams to drop back come the actual final standings but I am doing it based off the current standings.

Wildcard Game:

LA versus D.C.

I must start with say that it has been interesting as these two-team traded with each other at the trade deadline and could be playing each other in the Wildcard round and yeah New York was also involved trades with both teams as well. On paper, LA is the better team but they have struggled to score with a middle of the pack offense and surprisingly the 2nd worst defence. D.C isn`t that much better with the 6th worst offense and 5th best defence.  

Winner: LA

When in doubt always go with the best roster on paper and that is clearly LA.

First Round:

Seattle versus LA

While based on the record of the regular season one would most likely give the series to Seattle but I am going to make you question that since LA actually leads the season series 3-2 so they could really give Seattle a good run for their money if they even make to the first round.

Seattle has the 4th best offense and the 3rd best defense, so it is going to be hard to beat against them.

Winner: Seattle

Again, I think the best team here is Seattle and they will simply have too much talent and skill for LA to overcome. It will be closer series than I think a lot will think with it going 6 or even seven but Seattle will win out.

Vancouver versus Calgary

Vancouver started the season slowly before catching fire and have done so by committee lead on the backend by two Jake Wylde & Sterling Labatte winners in Pierre Emile Bouchard and Brain Payne with four of the six forwards over a point per game. Lead by Pearce and Maple. Vancouver boasts the 3rd best offense and 6th best defense in the league. Calgary are led by Janser and Goncalves with depth scoring being provided by Laroche-Gagnier and Wolanin. Calgary boasts the 7th best offense and 8th best defense. So, one would think advantage Vancouver but the head-to-head rather suggest differently with Calgary leading the series 4-1-1.

Winner: Calgary

Hurts me to actually write this but Calgary has clearly had the number of Vancouver this season and why should it be any different when it comes to first round of the play-offs? This could also be a quick series with Calgary winning in 5 or 6 games based on the regular season records.

Devon Marlow-Marta North American Conference Finals:

Seattle versus Calgary

The previous two Devon Marlow-Marta trophy winners head-to-head to determine who will face Moscow in the Finals for the Continental Cup. Who will it be? Seattle; the power house team or Calgary, the retooled team looking to send Janser out on top once again; all but guaranteeing his HOF day. 

Winner: Calgary

I simple cannot overlook the fact that Calgary current leads the regular season series 3-1 and outscoring Seattle 13-8 in those games. While I think Seattle has the better team; just like Vancouver did in the first round, that doesn`t make any difference when a team simple has your number. Calgary will face Moscow in the final after winning the series in 5 or 6 games.

Continental Cup Finals:

Moscow versus Calgary

This will no matter how I look at the number be a close series. While Moscow won the regular season series 2-1-1. The goal difference in the series was only two goals, 14-12. It will be close series but the question remains will Spartan and Moscow break the curse of final losses?

Continental Cup winner: Moscow

I couldn`t look past the regular season record or the fact that I think Moscow has more depth and a better overall roster so in the end I feel that Moscow will break the curse and win the Continental Cup.