Moderators, time for a pay cut?

jRuutu

When you look at the ban thread, you can see there have been 4 bans during the year 2023. If you go to Discord and look at the General channel, you don't have to scroll up that many times and you are already reading comments from days ago, the place is not as active as it once was.  The same can be said about the forum as well, you can find a steady flow of content, but certainly not at a pace where the league should have a team of moderators. If you are not interested in researching that much, you can look at the list of moderators and see that a few of them are also managing a team. You can be a moderator while you try to manage a team full of users, do scouting, work on lines, all that and you can still do some moderating. If you flip it around: the moderators who claim full 6 TPE for just moderating - they really have nothing to do.

Since the league has been transformed into a safe and friendly space,  the league should start to think whether there are better ways to invest the TPE so many of the moderators get to claim week after week. One suggestion would be to create a role that aims to bring activity around all the different VHL channels. These users would get to claim 6 TPE for creating content and talking points that get people talking. Pros: more activity everywhere. Cons: ??

If you are now thinking about writing a comment along the lines of: "Nothing is stopping you from doing that, there is no need to create a role for something we all could and should do".   That is a fair point, we should all aim to be more active, but we are trying to find ways how to better invest the salaries of moderators. Consider the following: a group of people trying to be active by creating content, engaging with different users, and getting paid 6 TPE for it VS group of people trying to be active by doing very little as there is very little to do, still getting paid 6 TPE.  I think the first group is more worthy of the 6 TPE.

If the league would introduce this "active" - job, who decides who has been active enough for 6 TPE? We would need to hire a group of people that monitor the various channels to see who has been active and who has not. The job would be worth 6 TPE, the main focus would be to determine who has been active and who has not, the monitoring users would be responsible for approving the job pay of each "active". They would judge each "active" based on the quality of the content and of course how frequently the actives are posting to the various VHL channels.

Taking into onsidering all the potential of my suggestion, I think you will mostly see benefits for the whole league. The different channels are full of all types of content because people are getting paid for it, which on its own is only going to help recruiting and keeping people around. If things get too out of hand in terms of some "actives" crossing the line too often, you would have to hire moderators in the same capacity as now, but that is something I see happening maybe a year in the future.

I think getting paid extra to create content is called "VSN". And maybe there's something to be said about relatively low volume, but maybe not because it's at least high effort. I certainly prefer it to getting pinged every week because someone there who wants to farm likes passively mentioned my player in one sentence somewhere.

I'll also say that the Discord environment does seem to have chilled out recently. It's been a while since I had a strong (and imo legitimate) objection to someone acting high and mighty in there because of whatever color their name happens to be.

I don't think this is a realistic idea because I think the responses you thought of against it are valid, and I'd be against it myself because I feel like it would just lead to old-VSN-style spam and people making stupid posts they don't actually care about. But we've had worse ideas and I think this is a fair response to lower post traffic.