When the Boss is Away...

Ozzy Batty

This has been a really interesting season as the Assistant General Manager with the Calgary Wranglers. I have watched over the shoulder of, well, who I consider one of the best General Managers there is in @Ricer13 I have watched how he has encouraged the team, cheered them in their victories and encouraged them in their losses. I never felt like this was a "my way or the highway" organization. I watched as he talked to each player, prospects included. He discussed their plans for their career and how he could assist them in becoming the best players they can be. I realized it is not about the team with him, it is about the person and everything else will fall into place.

We have discussed roster moves, potential and theoretical. He has been patient as I have asked questions and always takes time to answer me as clearly and thoroughly as possible. We have been talking about the off-season and all of the different scenarios that could play out. I have watched him struggling with what to do in the off-season. We have discussed what would be best for the team and why.

Yea, I have learned alot from him.

But I know there is so much more that I need to learn....like how to set lines and what things to consider when deciding what strategies to use for the upcoming games. We started these conversations recently and just like everything else he has been patient and explained things in such a way that they are very easy to understand. Yes, I still have questions and I know he will answer them with the same patience and understanding he has in the past.

Then he dropped the bombshell on me. He is going out of town and wanted me to take care of the lines and strategies. No pressure here huh? So I have the keys to the office, the boss is out of town, time to try my hand and see what works? So I start with my charts and spreadsheets, taking into account all I have learned. I think I finally have enough information to make my mind up and list out my game plan. I have my strategies in mind, I know what lines I want....time for the student to show what he has learned!

But then I open up the lines, they match what I had written down. Okay, let's look at the strategies, they match as well. What is going on? I have my time to shine and show what I can do....and I dont see anything I would change. So now what? My big chance to shine and show how much I have learned from the master....and I cannot see anything to change. 

So maybe I learned too well? Maybe I still have quite alot more to learn. Maybe I realized that change just for the sake of change isnt such a good thing. What will I do before the boss gets back? Who knows for sure. But I think the walls in the office could use a coat of paint.

I wonder what he would think of blue walls?

Word Count: 527

Week Claimed: 23 Jul 2023

37 minutes ago, Otis Boudreaux Jr said:

So I have the keys to the office, the boss is out of town,

Panic Omg GIF

38 minutes ago, Otis Boudreaux Jr said:

I wonder what he would think of blue walls?

Red, white and black, we ain't Toronto, son ;)

13 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Panic Omg GIF

Red, white and black, we ain't Toronto, son ;)

Yea, so that is why he grabbed those keys back so quickly! I did get 1 wall partly done, hopefully it wont be too hard to cover it up. Oopps!

Cant trust us youngsters with anything!