Pre-Draft Europe (definitely not biased) Power Rankings

scoop

1. Prague Phantoms :prg:

The Phantoms have not had a very active off-season, but that has not been a problem for them. Although they finished just fourth in the conference last season, they look primed to lead the way with all of the teams that were ahead of them looking notably worse. All of the key members from last season are returning for Prague, including arguably the best player in the VHL in John Jameson. They could afford to add a sixth forward to the roster, but the five that they have right now have this team looking like a deadly offense.

2. HC Davos Dynamo :dav:

Coming into the off-season, I honestly thought the defending champs might rank even lower than this. They lost Alexandre Leduc and Mason Jones to retirement, and several of the players who are still around have lost a lot to depreciation. They have filled the many holes that their aging forwards left on their roster, and while they are going to have the same issue again next season, they look fine for this season. Jake Thunder and Skor McFleury are both arguably top five defensemen in the conference.

3. Malmo Nighthawks :mal:

With Europe's top teams taking a step back, Malmo management saw this off-season as a good one to try to take a leap forward. They made three trades to acquire three players: Daniel Weaver, Henry Eagles, and Mo Probert. These moves have drastically improved the Nighthawk forward unit, which now looks like one of the best in Europe. Ash Sparks in net is a bit of a question mark, and I think many would point to him as a reason why Malmo should be lower. Although his numbers were very good last season, he is not among the most skilled goalies, so he will have something to prove this season.

4. London United :ldn:

London is one of just two teams in Europe that currently has six forwards and fourth defensemen, and while this standard player count is not necessary to be successful, it does help, though that sixth forward is not a VHL-caliber player. Regardless, the reason they rank this high is Jesse Teno, who is no doubt the best player on the team. He has been a rock solid goaltender throughout his career, and there is no reason to think he will not keep it up. Molly the Cat will have to step up and lead the offense to better results than a season ago, or Teno's efforts may be wasted.

5. Helsinki Titans :hel:

The Titans had the worst record in the league last season, but with the players they had, they looked like they should have been better. They could easily end up near the bottom again, but on paper, I think they look fine. Daryl Dixon and Fuukka Rask were the biggest under-performers that they team was counting on in Season 88, and I think this season will hinge on them playing up to their expectations. The addition of Landon Wolanin, giving the team a proven top talent, makes it easier to place Helsinki this high on my rankings.

6. Riga Reign :rig:

If teams were being ranked on their best four forwards, three defensemen, and one goaltender, the Reign would easily be second or third. Until Riga gets a couple more players on their roster, I have my doubts about how successful they can be, even though the players that they do have are great. The Frenchman has blossomed into one of the best forwards in the game, and any of their three defensemen could be the number one on several of the teams ahead of them. The Reign can easily shoot up the rankings if they just fill out their roster a bit more.

7. Moscow Menace :mos:

This is not the same Moscow Menace team that we have seen the last several seasons. They have seemingly opted to go for a bit of a retooling, trading away Ronan Lavelle, Tomas Sogaard, and Clueless Wallob in order to get several future assets. Even after shipping out three of their best players from the last few seasons, their roster is still fairly respectable. Do I think Hammar Voss and Jason can lead this squad to the playoffs? No, but I have seen stranger things. Voss is still one of the best defensemen in the league, and maybe he puts the team on his back.

8. Warsaw Predators :war:

Warsaw was hands-down the easiest team to place in my rankings. There is really no explanation needed.

Article Review:  For an opinion article it wasn't that bad, not enough analytical review to provide any sort of objective proof on their ranking but again it is an opinion piece so what can we really ask for.  Oddly enough I don't argue much in the ranking so maybe the author has some inherent ability to measure talent or I could be as clueless as they are.  Only a full season will tell how things go.

I give this article a 7/10 as purely a subjective measure to a subjective article.  I don't see where you have done an article on the North American conference but I may have missed it.  Would be interested in seeing how you would rank those teams based on the significant changes that have gone on.