What Just Happened?

der meister

Traded again. That was the first thought that went through my mind when I heard defenseman Ryuji Sakamoto's phone ring a few weeks ago. The Warsaw Predators failed to qualify for the playoffs despite what was, by some accounts, a career year for the veteran blueliner. With personal bests in assists (49) and hits (204), he also just barely missed setting personal bests in points (57 versus a career high of 58), penalty minutes (151 versus a career high of 158), and blocked shots (178 versus a career high of 182). Ultimately, his one year in Poland has been his best all around season, statistically speaking.

He was also on a one year deal with the Predators, and set to become an unrestricted free agent for the second time in as many seasons.

"Well, man," Sakamoto said after finishing his phone call, "my negotiating rights just got traded to the D.C. Dragons."

"D.C." I thought. We had a brief stint in D.C., resulting in exactly zero games played for Sakamoto, before I had my rather off-the-record meeting with Dragons' General Manager Marshall Frostbeard, suggesting he'd be better served moving on from Sakamoto sooner rather than later, given the potential of legal complications stemming from his extracurricular activities in and around Seattle. I grabbed my laptop and began doing a few searches.

In terms of public arrest records, a few names related to The Jump House, the dive bar in the Redmond Barrens where all of the trouble started, popped up. Those records were dated well over a year ago, and court filings suggest that authorities consider those arrested to be the main, and perhaps only, culprits. The cases, it appeared, were considered closed and resolved. Perhaps Sakamoto would be safe in a return to D.C., should he choose to sign there. A big if, as everything I had heard from Sakamoto was that he intends to chase a championship before retiring and moving back to Japan.

While it is the offseason, and Sakamoto has only one or two seasons left in the tank, by my estimation, he continues to keep himself in excellent physical condition. A track star growing up, Sakamoto's speed is perhaps only slightly diminished from his younger days, but he remains one of the premier skaters in the VHL. Similarly, his puck handling skills remain amongst the most elite of the elite, and his defensive awareness is also still a major strength in his game. Not one to shy away from physicality, Sakamoto's body positioning and ability to clear out opposing players also remains a highlight.

Of course, there are negatives, and many of them are the same as they've always been. He has never seemed to grasp the concept that perhaps his stat totals would be higher if he spent the least bit of time actually working on shooting or passing, but to hear him speak on it, he believes keeping the puck out of his own net is just as important, or more so, than putting the puck in the opponent's.

Imagine my surprise when Sakamoto told me a few hours later that he spoke with Frostbeard and agreed to a one year deal with the Dragons, this time with a No Trade Clause. An interesting and, dare I say it, mature inclusion in the contract.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.governmentregistry.org%2Fimg%2Ftopical%2Farrest_02.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c1d071b4b2f9fa60cf58d508b26a6a0e4e4c5116cccf6ca2dc467f874966a60e&ipo=images

Safe in D.C.? We shall see.

Edited by der meister