What a Record-Breaking Season for Lachlan Summers!

kirbithan

SQWIT8P.jpg

Lachlan Summers has just concluded his fourth season with HC Davos Dynamo and his third as their starting goaltender. His career thus far has started off strong, with winning the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy for Best Rookie in S88 to securing the Continental Cup with the team just last season to end one of the longest Cup droughts in VHL history. 

There were questions when Davos drafted him, but surely, those doubters have been put to rest since Summers has just put up his most individually stunning season yet in the effort to secure Davos the Victory Cup, again, shattering another record-long drought for the team. 

To recap his career thus far, Summers was first called up to the Dynamo in S87 to backup newly inducted Hall of Famer Xavier Booberry, where the Australian went 7-0-1 with a .938 SV%, 1.58 GAA, and a shutout, which was an extremely promising start for the young netminder, but left questions if he could keep up this performance in his next season.

To follow, in S88 where he took up the mantle of starting goalie, a lot of pressure was on Summers’ shoulders, but that didn’t faze him in the slightest as he finished his true rookied campaign with a 39-18-7 record, .932 SV%, 2.3 GAA and 4 shutouts. His performance was similar to Prague’s Matt Murdock the year prior and thus, earned Summers the Stolzschweiger Trophy with every single BOG vote. 

There was a slight slump in S89, but Summers did surpass 40 wins for the first time in his young career. He went 43-15-6 with a .925 SV%, 2.4 GAA, and 4 shutouts. These numbers were less impressive than the year prior besides the win column, but nonetheless, didn’t matter to Summers as his team would secure the Continental Cup for the first time in over 20 seasons. 

Then came S90, a true standout season for Summers. He surpassed the 100 career win milestone with astounding stats as he guided his team to the Victory Cup during the last day of the regular season, just edging out the Toronto Legion! He finished this season 49-12-3, sporting a .938 SV%, 2.06 GAA, and 7 shutouts! This meant that Summers led the entire league in all major goaltending stats and is the first to do so since S74. With the lowest GAA in the league, Summers secured himself the Greg Clegane Trophy, and is now in contention for the Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goaltender), the Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable Player), and the Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding Player). If Summers is able to rake home most of these awards, could he be in consideration for one of the best single seasons for goalies in league history? Only time will tell. 

Overall, Lachlan Summers has been an absolute steal for HC Davos Dynamo. After dropping to 12th in the S86 VHL Entry Draft due to an influx of goaltenders in recent seasons, Summers is now on a revenge tour— punishing the other teams in the league for passing up on him and collecting accolades as he goes. The Aussie will continue to tear up the league for many more seasons to come and hopefully improve on this season’s performance.

Spoiler

word count: 539

And I have to spend my whole career trying to live up to you!! 😢 I'll forever be known as "that guy who was picked after Summers".

All kidding aside, you've worked extremely hard and are reaping the rewards. Congratulations on a fantastic season!  

Edited by animal74

6 minutes ago, animal74 said:

And I have to spend my whole career trying to live up to you!! 😢 I'll forever be known as "that guy who was picked after Summers".

All kidding aside, you've worked extremely hard and are reaping the rewards. Congratulations on a fantastic season!  

thank you, animal! i appreciate you and the rivalry we’ve created: it’s always a thrilling matchup between toronto and davos! hope to see you in the final, my friend. :cheers: