Quick prediction of the S91 playoff teams

scoop

I turned what was supposed to be a VHL.com article into almost 700 words that I will use for a media spot tomorrow, so I'm definitely going to be intentional about keeping this brief. Don't want to accidentally do that again.

North America

IN: Los Angeles, Toronto, Calgary, D.C., Seattle

OUT: Vancouver, New York, Chicago

I think the top four in North America are pretty set, and while I could see any of the other teams potentially making the moves to get into that fifth spot, right now I see Seattle as the most likely occupant. Chicago has a more complete roster, but the Bears have several players better than best player on Chicago's roster. New York could potentially make it in if they add a goalie and a defenseman or two. Vancouver would have to add a lot, but there are enough free agents out there that they could potentially fill up the empty slots with players almost as good as most of Chicago's players and see if Analfist and Slater could take that squad to the fifth seed.

Europe

IN: Prague, HC Davos, London, Helsinki, Malmo

OUT: Warsaw, Moscow, Riga

Again, we have a solid four that I'm fairly confident about. Unlike North America, however, I really only see two teams competing for the fifth seed, and I also think the five seed over here is more likely to have a shot at doing anything in the playoffs. I think the fifth playoff team will comde down to Malmo or Riga. I think Malmo has better high-end talent, with the likes of Henry Eagles, Skor McFleury, and Jacob Stone. Riga has an edge in terms of forward depth. I have my concerns with how well Malmo's first and second year will perform; not that Riga is in a much better spot, as they have two rookie forwards on the roster as well.