Things don't always go as planned...

VattghernCZ

Man means, life changes“, says a Czech proverb. Even though its original version was „man means, God changes“, the version with „life“ is more common. Maybe the fact Czechia is one of the least religious countries in the world has something to do with it. Whatever version you prefer, the meaning is still the same – sometimes, things just don't go the way they have been planned, and they can change minute to minute.

The last offseason, Wann Kerr, one of the top Czech players in the VHL, certainly could relate to this proverb. After spending all 288 games of his professional career in Vancouver on a team that hasn't missed playoff once in that span, won a Victory Cup and appeared in a Continental Cup finals, the Wolves brass decided for a rebuild. And Kerr was one of the pieces that were moved as a part of it.

Right now, Kerr is enjoying a day off after finishing round robin of the World Cup, where his Eastern European team absolutely dominated and won 7 out of 10 total games, with Kerr being the top goal scorer and point scorer of the whole tournament. One of our reporters took the trip from Prague to Berlin, where Wann agreed to meet up in a café for a few words, so Czech fans can catch up with his life and what's going on.

Hello Wann, long time no see. So, how have things been?

Yea, I can't even remember the last time we talked, it's been hard keeping up with Czech fans while living in Canada. I haven't really had much time for social mdia and stuff like that, and it's refreshing to hear someone speaking Czech after such a long time. Yea, things have been great actually. I'm trying to handle the still somewhat new role of a husband and an adoptive father while playing professional sport, but I like keeping myself busy. Yea, things have been good.

Great to hear! I guess the good vibes translate to your on-ice performance. Since the last time we spoke, you took the league by storm by being the top goal and point scorer in the S89 playoffs, then scoring 41 goals in S90, and now you're leaving quite an impression at the World Cup. What has changed in your game that allowed you to break out as one of the may I say best forwards in the league?

(Laughs) One of the best forwards, thanks. Hard to say, I think a big chunk of that was playing with Nico Pearce in S89, he was always there to cover for my stupid mistakes and that really helped my confidence. It was the biggest thing, for sure, the confidence. Then I spend the whole S89/90 offseason studying the tape on mostly John Jameson, really trying to model my game after him, especially the off-puck habits and the way he uses his physicality. I think he's the best forward in the league right now, so obviously he's the player I want to study. It has made me more effective in gaining possession for our team, and good things happen when we have the puck. Yea, I think it really comes down to playing with guts and intensity, and of course having as great of linemates as I've been gifted helps. Whether it's Oreo (McFleury) $nubbed (Analfist) or Girts (Galvins) in Vancouver, or Big Bog (Yaroslav Bogatyrev) or Henry (Eagles) now at World Cup, they're all guys who can just make you look better.

TdNPQrq_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

But now, there will be new teammates for you to build chemistry with. So let's address the main thing – your trade to London. How did it go?

Well, when I saw Doggy (Dogwood Maple), McFlower (Oreo McFleury) and Bouchy (Pierre Emile Bouchard) traded on top of Girts (Galvins), Hockley (Mann) and of course the one and only Payne (Brian Payne) retiring, I had the feeling I might have had played my last game as a Wolf. We had a long, long conversation with Frank, talking life and business while having some beers. He explained his point of view, and we decided it's the best move for both the Wolves' rebuild and my career to accept the London's trade offer. So I waived the NTC and it was a done deal. No hard feelings on either side.

So what are your first impressions on London? Will it be a change for you to play closer to home?

Closer to home? My home is in Vancouver, my wife stayed there with the kid, I don't think it's good for a child to move so often. They're staying on Bowen Island. I'm renting a nice cozy home on the outskirts of London, it's nice here. Especially the food here is great. You know Mei Mei? It's a Singapore restaurant run by Auntie Liz, I highly recommend their nasi lemak! But I guess you're asking about the team. Yea, really chill, laid back atmosphere in the LR. We all want to and expect to win, and certainly have the team to do so. I'm excited for the next season. I hope I'll be able to hold my end of the bargain and do what I can to help them forget they've paid two first round picks for Braun and I. And hopefully, it will be two 16th overall picks.

So you're now fully on board with the United? No playing favourites for the team that drafted you?

Oh absolutely. You know I've always given my all for the team on the front of my jersey. I don't care whether it's Vancouver, or Maple and his Davos, or Bouchy and his Helsinki, or Oreo and his Calgary – they're against us now. We might exchange some friendly words before the game or during the intermissions, but we're not teammates anymore. If they're carrying the puck through the center of the ice, I'm bodychecking them. If they play dirty, I'm dropping gloves.

Always loyal to your team, love it. So what are your expectations for the next season, both individually and as a team?

Well, I'll do my best to try to replace the retired Igor Molotov for the team. I think that's what expected from me. That's a hard task, but I'm always up for a challenge. London is full of technically really great players with strong two-way game, I think I'll take it on myself to be more of a blue collar physical presence. I know I'm not the biggest guy around, but working along the board, in the corners and in front of the net are probably the strongest areas of my game. I think I could mesh well with the forward core, and it could help our teams. I think our offense is as good as any team's, and we've got one of the best goaltenders in the league. Yea, I think we're serious contenders, and will be ones for the years to come.

I definitely wish you good luck next season, I hope you will be as successful in London as you were in Vancouver.

Thank you, thank you. I have to go now, we have a voluntary skating in a moment, so I'll try to stay sharp, and I hope to speak with you soon!

Edited by VattghernCZ
1200+ words, claiming 2x6TPE