Around the League - playoffs

Scurvy

It’s been a long week and I travel to Pittsburgh tomorrow and Nashville on Wednesday.  And what makes it even worse is the Penguins and the Predators are both on road games during my brief stay in each city.  I need to get my media spot done for this week and I am dragging.  So, I apologize in advance if my Around the League in 500 words isn’t very good, but I’ll do my best.

VHLE Playoffs:

It seems like I don’t particularly pay attention to what’s happening in the VHLE sometimes unless my player is in the league.  And it’s a shame too because there is some exciting hockey going on.  My pick to win the cup is Vasteras and they are in a battle currently with a good Stockholm Vikings club.  

So far, the series has been a relatively low scoring affair with each team scoring 3 goals and allowing 3 goals. Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeardhas notched two points for the Vikings and if he can get hot, there is no telling what the Vikings can do.  I still predict Vasteras to pull through but it will make for an exciting playoff.

In the other series, Cologne is curb stomping the Rome Gladiators. Pretty evenly matched during the regular season, the Express have come out hot defensively and in two games have not allowed a single goal, which is saying something considering the talent the Gladiators have.  First Gen Goalie, Clark @cl4rk has stopped all 61 shots slung his way.  Pretty impressive. 

On offense, the Express has spread the scoring a bit amongst the team making it that much harder to stop them. Jordan Bennett @Plate, Joseph Dubois @Dubois, and Lionel Collberg @Masu Chan, all defensemen, are leading the Express in scoring which is nice for the team.  

VHLM Playoffs

As I sit here and patiently wait for tonight’s SIMS and clicking around the standings and stats I see Ottawa has come out swinging.  Going up two games to none on a good Miami Marauder club and scoring 12 goals in two games while only allowing 4.   George Richmond @badcolethetitan has tallied 5 goals and 1 assist in those two games probably making some teams wonder why they let him slide in the VHLM draft to the 11th spot, despite being the highest TPE earner at the time and a history of good players in the league.  

Ottawa has a lot of depth up front but a little light on Defense with only two, one of which being the first overall pick and 81 points scorer, Vlad Von Carstein @Dom.  This lineup did see them win the eastern conference though, edging out the Philly Reapers by just a few points.  

It’s still early in the playoff and anything can happen but would love to see an eastern matchup between Ottawa and Philly.  

In the Western conference, it’s been a little more of a battle. Philly is up 2-0 on Las Vegas, Mississauga is 1-1 with Houston, and San Diego is 1-1 with a league’s best regular season team, Saskatoon.  Toon had 56 wins and only 11 loses with an amazing 255 goals scored, second only to Philly. 

Exciting times and best of luck everyone.  I have to go pack now, ugh.