I'm still here!

It’s been a while now since Landon Wolanin retired. Honestly it has been a great time to not have TPE to earn, since I got super sick, then recovered just enough to go to my girlfriend’s house for Christmas, which extended into a week and a half long visit between her house and my apartment. During my spare moments I was trying to put together a roster that my players deserved, plan for a draft that was off the rails, and think about how weird it was to not need to earn any TPE anymore.

Soon my new player will debut. We haven’t settled on names yet, we being my father and I, but we’re probably making some defenders with opposite styles. I’m hoping to do a project where I parse the game logs for more stats to compile, which might make the awards conversations a bit more interesting, and give the games a bit more context. I’ll be honest, I have not started that yet, it’s been a weird couple months.

I’ve recreated in the SBA, hence the Media Spot today, and I’m picking away at an SHL player, and I certainly say my couple words a week for GOHLS. But I really do miss sitting down and grinding out my TPE. I’ve been transitioning my writing from sim leagues into TTRPGs, trying to finally break out of my creative slump there and run a campaign for my roommates. But I could honestly use a couple different writing outlets, and maybe with this new player I can engage a bit more in the roleplaying aspects.

There’s been some talk about wishes for the league, and a topic that was mentioned and sort of tossed away (for moderately decent reason) was the idea of presenting weekly topics to inspire people to do PTs. I guarantee most of the people that don’t do PTs would tell you it is because they don’t know what to write about. Some truly don’t have the time, or just aren’t that engaged and that’s fine. I like that there is a range of engagement on the site. I also agree that every Theme Week is met with complaints, why would anyone want to do that job every week? A while back I started writing a random table of ideas, mostly for writing, and I got through like 40 or so before shutting off my computer and forgetting to save it. Maybe I’ll pick that back up sometime and start presenting them myself. Just to see how it goes!

VHL GMing is very weird compared to the VHLM, and I imagine the VHLE. I’ve been GMing for London for a decent amount of time now, this is my 5th season I think. And honestly, nothing has really changed in that time. I feel like I’m running back the same core, filling the same holes and getting the same results each time, learning one new major thing each season and getting a tiny bit better. This season’s roster is looking like exactly what I wanted last season’s roster to look like, and I think the minor tweaks will really change our playstyle. Or maybe I’m wrong and I’ve got one more thing to learn this season!

what TTRPG are you playing?  My Wed night D&D is now splitting time between 5e and Traveller.  Additionally i've started GMing a cyberpunk red group as well as joining another cyberpunk red group as a player.

45 minutes ago, Garsh said:

what TTRPG are you playing?  My Wed night D&D is now splitting time between 5e and Traveller.  Additionally i've started GMing a cyberpunk red group as well as joining another cyberpunk red group as a player.

Just ran my first session of some strange mixture of FATE and Cypher with some hints of Burning Wheel and Blades in the Dark. Really trying to capture that rules-light feeling and allowing anything to fit mechanically into the resolution mechanic. I'm also ditching combat as its own subsystem, and working out ways to resolve it just like any other problem. It's going to be interesting and very sloppy to start but I'm getting a handle on it the more I prep! 

I regularly find myself making Traveller characters just because of how fun it is, I don't think I could convince my players to dive into something with that many tables though.

Article review, or maybe more aptly called comment on an article from various standpoints.

I will start by giving this article a 9/10, it is honest, fairly well written and fairly logical.

Now the comments, yes unless something drastic happens in the next draft i expect junior here and myself will be putting up a set of defense to take on the VHL through another series of seasons.  Giving us a chance to test some build structures.

Comment 2 London is going to rock this season, I actually have been able to clear the depreciation hurdle and get to build more on Molly the Cat prior to retirement. Expecting a good year and a good finish to a career.

Comment 3, this may go back to last seasons conversation about recruitment but there always seems to be a large connection between SIM players and role players, potential advertising to role playing forum may be worthwhile.

Comment 4, like Kid, I taught you about role playing games, if you want to run a larger campaign let me know I would be willing.  Kids these days.

Well there are my thoughts, evaluations of this article and my subsequent comments.

12 minutes ago, JCarson said:

Comment 4, like Kid, I taught you about role playing games, if you want to run a larger campaign let me know I would be willing.  Kids these days.

As soon as they have a degree and move out and start their own live, paying their own bills, they do not know you anymore?

1 minute ago, Daniel Janser said:

As soon as they have a degree and move out and start their own live, paying their own bills, they do not know you anymore?

Which is why he is coming over tonight to have dinner and do his laundry.