Running With the Bulls: Green...ish

LucyXpher

rwtb.thumb.png.0eba4dab42c4f299816cf13ec0189b94.png

Did you know that Greenland is geographically part of the North American continent?  For centuries, however, Europe has staked political and cultural claim on the worlds largest island.  Denmark has held colonies there since 1721 and it officially became part of Denmark in 1953.  In 1979, Greenland gained autonomy from Denmark, being granted Home Rule, and in 2009 this was expanded to Self Rule, allowing the island nation greater governing autonomy, though it remains part of the Kingdom of Denmark.  

Here are a few interesting facts for you: 

- The population of our great city, Houston, is approximately 2.3 million residents.

- The population of Greenland, by last estimate, is around 56,480.

- The island of Greenland encompasses an area of 836,330 square miles (12th largest country on earth).

- The land area of Texas, the second largest US state, is 268,596 square miles (Alaska is 665,384 sq. miles).

- Greenland has the lowest population density of any nation on earth with 0.36 people per square mile.

- The country with the second lowest population density is the Falkland Islands at 1 person per square mile.

- Most residents of Greenland were born there, only 11% have moved there from Denmark and other countries.

- The population growth of the country is considered stagnant.

- There are no roads connecting towns and settlements in Greenland.

- Most travel is done by plane, boat, helicopter, snowmobile, or dogsled.

In short, (tl;dr) Greenland is a huge country in terms of land mass, and yet practically no one lives there-- save for a plethora of arctic mammals including whales, musk ox, caribou, arctic foxes, hares, and polar bears.  And for those few and far between who do live there, the most popular sporting pastimes are considered to be football (soccer), handball, and basketball.  

Okay, let's get down to brass tacks.  There are currently 16 Greenland nationals across the rosters of the VHL, VHLE, and VHLM-- 16 out of 368 currently rostered players, comprising 4.3% of the player population. For comparison's sake, there are currently 76 US born players across the same population, accounting for 20% of the total. And what am I trying to say?

Nothing...nothing at all.

Look, I'm not trying to draw the ire of the regime.  I am but a lowly purveyor of fact and intrigue.   It is certainly not lost on me that many intrepid journalists who have gone before have faced dire consequences for writing and implying less, so let me just say this: Greenland good. Greenland great. Greenland green.

--speaking of green, how about them Bulls? The past week has been a tough one, particularly for the young Bulls.  The early-season off-ice controversy surrounding goalie, Ondrej Vencko, has been well documented, however the young puck stopper hasn't fared much better on the ice so far, claiming an .893 save percentage through 4 starts.  In his defense, his counterpart and fellow rookie, Herald Benson, is only marginally better at .895, though he hasn't managed to claim as many points as Vencko who has picked up points in overtime and shootout losses.  

Let's not get stuck on the goalies, though, as the team in front of them has been less than stellar to start.  in a 4-2 loss last night to the Mexico City Kings, the Bulls were outshot 44-26, and took a staggering 9! minor penalties, relinquishing two powerplay goals against which ultimately proved to be the difference.  In the second game of the back-to-back, the Bulls tightened up a bit, but still gave up 2 powerplay goals on 3 Kings attempts, falling 4-3 in a close game.  

Right now, this team is very green with all but one player, Barry McOckiner, not yet having been drafted to the VHL.  There have been some signs of life and promise, especially in late addition, Benjamin Abenduct, who is off to a roaring start with 8 points in 4 games.  I am also obliged to say that team captain and Greenland born, Trimiskez Artav, has been an excellent offensive contributor so far this season with 5 goals and 5 assists through 10 games, shooting at an impressive 16.67% goal conversion rate.  Yay, Greenland.

The feeling in the locker room is that these woes will be short lived as the team expects to improve their run of form as their rookies become acclimatized to the pace and physicality of the VHLM.  Tonight, Houston will look to bounce back with a pair of games against Mississauga and Saskatoon, both of which have also started the season on the back foot.  These are big games for the Bulls as they aim to get back in the win column and start heading north in the standings.

easygreen.thumb.jpg.5a5fb885c01148f550548a7dca88cf6a.jpg

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

Edited by LucyXpher

25 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Holy shit that Kermit the Frog is AMAZING lol

Lol, thanks.  I sure hope the party doesn't come looking for me 😅

11 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

easygreen.thumb.jpg.5a5fb885c01148f550548a7dca88cf6a.jpg

Did you know that Greenland is geographically part of the North American continent?  For centuries, however, Europe has staked political and cultural claim on the worlds largest island.  Denmark has held colonies there since 1721 and it officially became part of Denmark in 1953.  In 1979, Greenland gained autonomy from Denmark, being granted Home Rule, and in 2009 this was expanded to Self Rule, allowing the island nation greater governing autonomy, though it remains part of the Kingdom of Denmark.  

Here are a few interesting facts for you: 

- The population of our great city, Houston, is approximately 2.3 million residents.

- The population of Greenland, by last estimate, is around 56,480.

- The island of Greenland encompasses an area of 836,330 square miles (12th largest country on earth).

- The land area of Texas, the second largest US state, is 268,596 square miles (Alaska is 665,384 sq. miles).

- Greenland has the lowest population density of any nation on earth with 0.36 people per square mile.

- The country with the second lowest population density is the Falkland Islands at 1 person per square mile.

- Most residents of Greenland were born there, only 11% have moved there from Denmark and other countries.

- The population growth of the country is considered stagnant.

- There are no roads connecting towns and settlements in Greenland.

- Most travel is done by plane, boat, helicopter, snowmobile, or dogsled.

In short, (tl;dr) Greenland is a huge country in terms of land mass, and yet practically no one lives there-- save for a plethora of arctic mammals including whales, musk ox, caribou, arctic foxes, hares, and polar bears.  And for those few and far between who do live there, the most popular sporting pastimes are considered to be football (soccer), handball, and basketball.  

Okay, let's get down to brass tacks.  There are currently 16 Greenland nationals across the rosters of the VHL, VHLE, and VHLM-- 16 out of 368 currently rostered players, comprising 4.3% of the player population. For comparison's sake, there are currently 76 US born players across the same population, accounting for 20% of the total. And what am I trying to say?

Nothing...nothing at all.

Look, I'm not trying to draw the ire of the regime.  I am but a lowly purveyor of fact and intrigue.   It is certainly not lost on me that many intrepid journalists who have gone before have faced dire consequences for writing and implying less, so let me just say this: Greenland good. Greenland great. Greenland green.

--speaking of green, how about them Bulls? The past week has been a tough one, particularly for the young Bulls.  The early-season off-ice controversy surrounding goalie, Ondrej Vencko, has been well documented, however the young puck stopper hasn't fared much better on the ice so far, claiming an .893 save percentage through 4 starts.  In his defense, his counterpart and fellow rookie, Herald Benson, is only marginally better at .895, though he hasn't managed to claim as many points as Vencko who has picked up points in overtime and shootout losses.  

Let's not get stuck on the goalies, though, as the team in front of them has been less than stellar to start.  in a 4-2 loss last night to the Mexico City Kings, the Bulls were outshot 44-26, and took a staggering 9! minor penalties, relinquishing two powerplay goals against which ultimately proved to be the difference.  In the second game of the back-to-back, the Bulls tightened up a bit, but still gave up 2 powerplay goals on 3 Kings attempts, falling 4-3 in a close game.  

Right now, this team is very green with all but one player, Barry McOckiner, not yet having been drafted to the VHL.  There have been some signs of life and promise, especially in late addition, Benjamin Abenduct, who is off to a roaring start with 8 points in 4 games.  I am also obliged to say that team captain and Greenland born, Trimiskez Artav, has been an excellent offensive contributor so far this season with 5 goals and 5 assists through 10 games, shooting at an impressive 16.67% goal conversion rate.  Yay, Greenland.

The feeling in the locker room is that these woes will be short lived as the team expects to improve their run of form as their rookies become acclimatized to the pace and physicality of the VHLM.  Tonight, Houston will look to bounce back with a pair of games against Mississauga and Saskatoon, both of which have also started the season on the back foot.  These are big games for the Bulls as they aim to get back in the win column and start heading north in the standings.

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

16 is too few, i went IA and Greenland recruitment went down, im fixing this

Just now, Pifferfish said:

It is a party, we have games, cake, and sing alongs... You should join

Come for the cake, stay for the world domination... I'm good thanks, never been much for karaoke anyway.

Review

This media spot was great. I loved how you included the funny little "it's not easy being green" image. The writing quality was also very good. The facts were interesting. I liked how you brought real life things in correlation to the VHL. The player stats you included were interesting such as the Benjamin Abenduct and the goalie stats. It's great how you showcased the Houston Bulls' penalty-stricken game against the Kings. You also included the historical facts of Greenland which was great.

10/10
Claiming for week ending 1/21