Early look at where Del Rocco might be drafted

Victor

• Admin

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Gianfranco Del Rocco will be drafted 2nd overall in the S93 VHL draft. Given the respective TPE gaps between highest-rated prospect Bucatini and Del Rocco, and Del Rocco and Devote, only a GM curveball would change that outcome (all the less likely given you'd have to reach significantly for the first goalie or defenceman at the moment).

So who could draft 2nd overall? Anyone who finishes outside of the playoffs thanks to the draft lottery, which means there will remain uncertainty throughout the season, given Chicago and Riga, currently in the bottom six, are still very much in the race. Three teams are increasingly being cut adrift however – Vancouver, Seattle, and Davos. A fourth, Warsaw, is being pulled into the same group but their pick is actually owned by Davos too, so there are clearly 3 favourites at the moment in the race for the Italians.

I've played for all of Vancouver, Seattle, and Davos so as it stands I wouldn't be adding a new franchise to my list although that's not particularly high on the priority list. The Bears I played for most recently, Rara Rasputin getting a championship in S77 under obviously the same GM as now – I'm sure they'll be very successful again if I was to re-join.

The Wolves I played for twice when they were still in Quebec. Ironically, one of those seasons was with Frank as GM too, although the best individual performances came with Greg Clegane in S49 and S50. I never won a cup with the Meute though, so going to Vancouver would mean a chance to sort out some unfinished business under a GM I have also met IRL in the intervening period.

Finally, Davos was a team I GMed to two cups in S36 and S38 – you could easily argue Alex is the Dynamo's most successful GM since I left and like the other two teams I'm sure the rebuild will be quick. I retain a soft spot for Davos and was glad to see them back on top, but of these 3 teams it doesn't look like there's a bad option.

I wouldn't be surprised if you go #1, that TPE difference doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I would be surprised if we don't go 1-2 in some order though.

That's why I'm really curious about the race for last place. Because (ignoring the math around Davos' Warsaw pick) the last place team has a 0% chance of falling out of the top two, while the second-worst team has a >50% chance.

• Admin
1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I would be surprised if we don't go 1-2 in some order though.

We'll promote Rome from the E and hand them the top two picks.