The Craziest VHL All-Star Game Ever

animal74

So I was thinking to myself: What would be a cool yet crazy idea to bring forward to the VHL’s All-Star Committee (which doesn’t exist)? An idea that give players a chance to showcase their skill and yet be a bit bizarre? So I thought about where I loved skating most and I thought of my childhood when our fields would flood and freeze and we’d have a beautiful, mirror-like 10-acre field of ice to skate on as fast as we wanted. Check.

We could do the All-Star game on a huge frozen field! Bring in seating for thousands, food trucks, music, all sorts of fun activities!

But then I thought, that’s a lot of ice to cover, we’d have to have more players. Why not have all the players play at the same time? What about all the goalies? Have a quadrant for each team – in fact, make it a free for all! Players could wheel around and score on any of the other three goalies! Maybe even have two, three, or even four pucks! Holy frozen chaos, Bekman!

Then there’s the question of the Skills Competition. Incorporate it in the actual game! There would be so much ice, you could award extra points for speed, super dekes, amazing saves, hardest shots and put obstacles all over the ice to pass through, skate around, targets to shoot at and maybe even ice ramps to jump off! That would be crazy!

Another wild idea: In a predetermined number of games leading up to the All-Star game, any player that gets a major penalty will also have to sit in dunk tanks placed all over the outdoor ice rink and All-Stars will get points for shooting pucks at the target during the chaotic gameplay and sinking the perpetrators in the “swim bins”.

Now the teams, how could they be divided up? Four teams for four quadrants? Sure. Eye color? Left or right stick? Season born in? By native global region? Beauty contest? There are so many ways this could be accomplished but maybe just let the fans decide.

Since we’re on a huge sheet of ice anyway, another activity I would love to see among the All-Stars is a go-cart race on an ice track around the “stadium”. Throw some hay bales or something around it for protection and let them have a four lap race around the track. Other games for cash prizes could be longest slapshot, most accurate curling throw, and make the All-Stars don speed skates and do a speed skating lap. The possibilities are endless!

And of course you’d need an Alumni/Hall of Fame Game. But you would probably need ambulances stationed strategically around the rink as the older players might have trouble skating that far.

It would take a lot of technology to make this happen but I think the VHL could pull it off. There would have to be sensors in a lot of the equipment and the cameras would have to be top notch. The weather would need to cooperate as well. I think it would be a monumental spectacle which is more than you can say for all the other All-Star Games.

Edited by animal74