Late Night Writing

Gustav

I don't need any more TPE this week, but hello. I thought I'd get on the random thoughts train just because--I have things on my mind and I like putting them in nice places.

• A week ago was my 5-year VHL anniversary. I still remember the day I joined. I was a super bored college freshman and scrolling through Reddit for way too long, putting off doing some assignment, and happened to come across the right post at the right time. I was a bit weirded out by the idea of talking to strangers and I had basically quit already when I got a couple emails that I'd been messaged ahead of the upcoming VHLM draft--sure, I welfared for a couple weeks at the start, but coming back on then was the reason why I stayed. That's why you scout people!
  • Talking to some of you is weird. I'm a very different person than I was as an 18-year-old VHL noob, but the kids keep getting younger. I didn't think anything of it when I was 18 or 19 and learned that someone was 14 or 15--and I still don't really do that today, because I get that we'll get new kids all the time--but realizing last night that one of you was nine years old when I joined the league blew my mind a little bit. 
  • I'm running another Town of Salem game, and sign-ups are open now! I'm not sure how clear it is that my games are open to everyone regardless of experience--and that those who have gained it are totally cool with you learning by playing. I do apologize if it's looked like an exclusive club to anyone on the outside, because that's never been the intent.
  • People who have been accepted to my program will be visiting my campus in a week, and it gives me major VHL vibes in some ways. People a year below me generally know me and like me OK because I got involved in all the events to welcome them and I did my best as their TA last semester--and now I have the chance to positively affect a whole new year of people. We're fortunate enough to have a culture that encourages older students helping younger ones, and I hope that's something we do on this forum as well. But if you say we do, please either do it or get out. I don't have time for the fake stuff.
  • Don't underestimate the depth of your relationships with friends. I'm OK, but I've had a lot going on in my head lately that's really weighed down on things and I recently decided to tell a couple people I trust about that. It's the first time I've ever made a point to sit down and do that with anyone and the ways I've been supported have been unreal--from things I didn't know existed being sent my way to a dysfunctionally communicative group chat randomly, magically, just so conveniently happening to suddenly have everyone available and willing to get together and have fun, I can tell that people I know actually care and that feels nice.
  • Anyway, back to the VHL stuff. Vandelay had his last-ever disappointing playoff campaign and is now gone for good. Interestingly, Lazlo Holmes had a pretty solid end-of-year run with Halifax and I'll be interested in seeing what happens when next season rolls around. I still have no plans to have anything to do with the E, and I'm fully prepared to write about how I don't like the circumstances of that and be told I'm stupid for saying so for as long as long as it takes.