Pre-Draft Report: Lucy Leitner

With Season 92 in the books, trophies awarded, and playoffs complete, the focus of VHL and VHLE general managers shifts to the upcoming S93 Draft which, while not a top-heavy draft in terms of players who are VHL-ready, will feature one of the deeper draft classes in recent memory with gems to be found across the draft board.  At the beginning of S92, I highlighted Lucy Leitner as a player to watch in her first VHLM season.  An undrafted player in the VHLM, Leitner signed a contract with the Houston Bulls as a free agent less than a week before the start of the campaign.  With the benefit of hindsight, we can now revisit our scouting report and look at how Leitner faired in her first VHLM season.  

When I first scouted Leitner, her standout attribute was her skating ability and it comes as little surprise that her skating proved to be elite relative to her VHLM peers.  At the conclusion of S92, Leitner ranks among the league's best skaters and has proved that her speed and edgework are top tier.  Leitner only seemed to improve as the season went on, getting faster and more agile, while also working with coaches to improve her strength and control while handling the puck.  With a smaller build at 5'8" and 155 pounds, it was thought that her size might be an issue as the level of competition increased from juniors, however her skating and improved strength seem to have mitigated this concern.  It was rare that Leitner would be caught flat-footed and her agility proved to be a challenge for opponents attempting to land a hit.  The combination of her skating and puck handling will certainly continue to work in her favor as she progresses into the VHLE and the VHL if she continues to refine her stride and stickwork.  

In terms of offensive production, Leitner had a solid year on an ever improving Bulls roster.  Starting the year as the Bulls top defender, she got off to a flying start.  As the season progressed and the Bulls continued adding to their roster, she saw a natural reduction in ice time and puck touches, though remained productive and continued to make the most of her opportunities. She was particularly effective on the powerplay, notching 12 powerplay goals-- tied for second in the league among defenders.  Leitner also finished the season with 60 assists in 72 games, which was the 5th highest total league-wide. 

Perhaps where Leitner showed the most promise was in her off-ice training as she continued to make gains every week, growing almost daily into a better player and teammate.  When asked about her motivation as a player, Leitner had this to say:

"I want to be the best I can be so that I can help my team win.  It's funny, I've been interviewed by a few teams for this upcoming draft and this is always something they seem to ask, like, I'm not aiming to have the most points or the most individual accolades, I want to help my team win, whatever team that ends up being.  If the points and recognition come, great, but I love being part of a team and the community around the team.  It's a fun environment and it's what truly makes sport amazing.  Individual achievements can be impressive and deserve recognition, but nothing beats being part of a winning culture with teammates who build each other up and can celebrate a victory together, so ultimately, that's what I want."

Leitner, like many other draft hopefuls, will be tuning in on Saturday March 9th to find out which team calls her name.  It is sure to be a special and exciting moment in these players' careers as they find out where their next home will be.

──•~❉᯽❉~•──

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

Claimed 03/10/24

Edited by LucyXpher

Well, you knew this was coming. I guess my reviews have become as predictable as the fact that you're just going to consistently turn out some fire articles. You never fail to impress with the overall quality of content and next-level composition. I commend you on the clear effort you put into these and they're very readable and not convoluted.

Almost seems like you've missed your calling in life. Unless you write articles for a living. It wouldn't be hard to believe. Keep up the good work! 11/10.

4 minutes ago, UghSike said:

Almost seems like you've missed your calling in life. Unless you write articles for a living

Well, you see, I don't write articles per se-- at least not yet, but I'm still in college studying literature so it's not exactly off the table lol.  Do academic papers count? (stupid question, they do not). 
Poetry is actually kinda my thing, though I'm still working out how "roses are red" keeps the lights on.  

Thanks again for your kind words and review! ❤️

Just now, LucyXpher said:

Do academic papers count? (stupid question, they do not). 

Unfortunately they do not. If they did, I have a ton of honors psychology papers to submit and bore the hell out of everyone with.

Also, you're welcome!