Maple Dogwood Rescues Moviegoers

dogwoodmaple

In a stunning story of heroism, rookie forward Maple Dogwood saved numerous lives when he went to catch a matinee of Dune 2.  

"It was one of my few days off from training and I figured why not go relax for a few hours at the movie theatre?  I'd already seen Dune 2 thanks to a special showing from one of my sponsors, so this was my second trip. I was really looking forward to tuning out, but of course that wasn't meant to be. As shocking as it might be, I've never been a huge fan of movie theater popcorn, so it was just Mike & Ikes and a slushie, but everybody in there seemed to have that viral popcorn bucket. You know with the sandworm's mouth on it?  And that's there it all went downhill," Dogwood said. 

Apparently two people in the row right in front of him were going all in on the bucket, but they also forgot to take their blood pressure medication, which caused their hands to swell.  And both of them, by some horrible coincidence, got their entire arms stuck inside the popcorn bucket and they couldn't take it out. At first, they didn't worry because they were sure they could un-stuck themselves, but it quickly became apparent that things were serious.

"I saw one guy start thrashing around in his seat and trying to free his arm and I honestly has no clue what he was doing initially.  But then his wife started hollering and I knew it was serious.  It took a few minutes for the theater staff to realize what was happening and then they turned the lights on.  The guy's entire arm was turning blue and I thought he was going to have a heart attack.  Somehow, things got worse when the person sitting next to him literally said 'I don't know how that even happens, watch' as he stuck his arm up to the elbow in the bucket.  Sure enough, he got stuck as well," said Dogwood.

Both men were quickly losing all feeling in their arms as the theater called 9-1-1 to alert paramedics to their current situation.  Fortunately for those two audience members and their families, Dogwood was there to save the day.

"When my grandfather passed away, he gave me his pocket knife and I always carry it with me.  It lasted two wars, so I always thought of it as a nice tribute to him and all he meant to me and my family.  Luckily, it has a small little pair of pop-out scissors and I was able to use those to trim back the teeth on the popcorn bucket mouth thing," he said.

Thankfully, he was able to cut both of their arms free in just a matter of minutes and both men didn't even need to seek medical attention.  When the paramedics arrived, they weren't even shocked about the call.

"This was the 27th Dune 2 popcorn bucket related call that we've received in the last two weeks. I'm just glad it was an arm this time," said Sgt. Andrew Hockensen from the Atlanta Fire Department. 

To thank Dogwood for his quick thinking, AMC offered free tickets for an entire year, which Dogwood promptly donated to the Atlanta Children's Hospital.

722de4e3040f453d632c32b9e1d4efc6a8-dune-

LoL!! I can see how they can get stuck!! LOL!!

As always a great read and great to have a good laugh as I can see these men thrashing around!! I was also think to myself I miss these articles from the Vancouver days so hopefully you keep writing these!! LOL!!