Eagles makes his FA Choice

Greg_Di

It was a whirlwind day for Henry Eagles on Saturday as almost every team in the league reached out to him to discuss potentially signing him in free agency. There was many discussions and many offers to tempt Henry to make his choice. We sit down with Eagles today to discuss the process and his final decision.

R: Welcome to the show Henry, lets discuss Saturday. Can you tell us how many teams reached out to you?
HE: It as a lot! Wasn't expecting that many teams to reach out which made the decision an even harder one. I think by the end of the day I believe 10 out of the 16 teams in the league reached out. I think we all had good conversations and in the end I had to make a difficult choice.

R: I think your choice of Seattle surprised everyone, no one really saw that coming and many thought you would have picked a cup contender, so tell us why Seattle?

HE: I think in my past media posts I have been pretty clear that I wasn't specifically looking at just cup contenders. I was open to any team whether they were cup contenders or rebuilders. My choice came down to the fact that I have always said that I always wanted to play at least 1 season in Seattle before retiring and if they made an offer they would most likely become the favorites. Their GM reached out, we had a discussion and I decided to head there and see if we can make something happen in Seattle.

R: Was there any other teams that were close to changing your mind?
HE: There was....Alot of great potential storylines could have been made but I won't be mentioning what teams made offers and what teams were close to stealing away Seattle's choice. I will say that there was one team that came really close to making me switch my decision on Seattle. They know who they are. In the end I reached out to all the teams before I made a choice to give them a heads up and explained my reasoning.

R: Do you think you made the right choice?
HE: No matter what happens this season or what some of the other teams think, I think this was the right choice for me to finish off my career in the VHL. I come to a team that is on the cusp of being a playoff contender and maybe I can help them achieve that this year. I also come to a team with a very experienced GM, I think longest serving GM in the VHL at the moment if im not mistaken, and its somewhere where I think I will be able to thrive as a player who is on the decline due to it being my last season. I have no regrets with this choice.

R: Do you think that with this choice, that future Eagles players may not be well received by other gm's due to this choice?

HE: I don't believe that will be the case. I think I was very open about the on going process with all the gm's I talked to and I think they all understood (even if they may not have liked) my choice. I don't think this will deter any future Eagles players that may come up for drafting or future FA.

R: How do you think you will do in Seattle?
HE: I am still chasing that 100 points as my career goal and that is what I will be aiming for here in Seattle. Along with trying to help this team get back into the playoffs and who knows, maybe cause an upset or two.