Maple Dogwood Embroiled in Crypto Scam

In a developing situation around Halifax, rookie winger Maple Dogwood is under suspicion by federal authorities for being involved in a cryptocurrency scam.

Against his attorney's advice, Maple agreed to talk to the media about the current allegations.

"Look, I have no clue what this is about.  I'm told that there is some sort of cryptocurrency trend right now involving names of fruit products.  Something like the hot new coins have fruit names - applecoin, orangejuicecoin, stuff like that. The coin at the heart of this whole mess is apparently "jellycoin" which I have never even heard of.  What I think happened is that it was my sister's birthday two months ago and she is obsessed with obscure fruit spreads.  Y'know, jams and jellies of the world.  Not the kind you buy in the grocery store, I'm talking about exotic stuff from all over the world.  So I start doing some internet research and I come across a Jelly of the Month type of website that offers to send someone one random jar of jelly each month for a year, or so I thought. I probably had 50 tabs open on my laptop and I was exhausted, so I thought I was putting my information and credit card number into the site for the Jelly of the Month, but apparently I had clicked on some sort of pop up site that has ties to this jellycoin. I inadvertently purchased $10,000, which I didn't even realize until my business manager called me the next day," Maple told reporters.

When he was told the unbelievability of that story, he said he understood how it sounds.

"I know, I know.  But that's the honest truth.  I have zero doubt that the authorities are going to determine this was just an honest mistake.  I even put a cancellation on the payment the next day when my business manager called me asking about ten thousand dollars. I thought it was $100, but we had just played two games and I was absolutely exhausted and just wasn't thinking straight.  I hate that this has caused an unnecessary distraction for Halifax and my teammates, but I'm hopeful there is a swift resolution right around the corner," Maple said.

The federal prosecutors have a different take on this developing story.

"Are we prepared to say that Maple Dogwood is a crypto kingpin who has used his celebrity status as one of the league's top rookies to bilk unsuspecting victims out of their hard-earned retirements money?  No.  But we aren't not not prepared to say that," Oakton Catstone told the media.

When we reached out to Halifax for a comment on the situation, they simply responded that because this was a pending matter, they are unable to comment and forwarded all inquiries to their in-house legal department. 

Many across the league have called for a suspension, but the VHL commissioner has been clear that right now there is no action they can take.  It has impacted attendance at various Halifax games, however, as it's been standing room only just to have a chance to boo Maple every time he steps on the ice.

One fan tossed a plastic jar full of soil at Maple as he entered the Halifax arena yesterday, calling him "lower than dirt".

Maple continues to vehemently declare his innocence.

553 words

I don`t think the fans would boo you for something like that but rather think they would make Maple Jelly Coins (Donuts)  as side joke and sell them at the games. As long as the funds either goes to bailing you out of jail or charity than it is all good, right?

Donut GIF by Discovery