Claimed:Lynx Off to Hot Start

Lynx Off to Hot Start

UF6LlPC.png

It is often said that in order for a team to succeed, players must understand their roles and perform to the best of their ability. So far, this seems to be the case for the Ottawa Lynx. The Lynx are currently off to one of their best starts in recent memory. Winners of ten of their first thirteen games, the Lynx are currently sitting atop the VHLM in points with twenty-one, three more than the second place Minot Gladiators. There are multiple factors that can explain the success of the team so far. However, it can easily be summed up with a simple idea: everyone is doing their job at a high level.

After a bit of a slow start, Ottawa’s top line, which consists of center Frederik Ernst and wingers Brennan McQueen and Robert Gow III, has begun to pick up their play. Ernst has had no trouble lately setting up his talented wingers. His nineteen assists lead the Lynx, who are currently second in the league in goals for per game with 4.15, behind only the Turku Outlaws, who have 4.31 goals per game. Captain Brennan McQueen has noted that an increase in chemistry has been the driving factor in this increase in production.

image.JPG

Members of the Lynx waiting for the season to start.

“With the trouble the VHL and VHLM were involved in that resulted in a delay to the start of the season, it was hard for me and the rest of the guys to really get anything together. Neither of those guys were with the team last year, and I was used to playing as an individual and attempting to carry the team last year. This year, there are a plethora of talented guys on the team. I can trust them to be in the right place and at the right time. The three of us make a great line. I've got some hands and am great along the boards, Ernst has incredible vision, and RGIII has the potential to be an elite goal scorer at this level.”

While offense may get the ladies, defense wins championships. While the Lynx as a whole have done a great job defensively, they are led by one of the premiere defensive prospects in the league, Connor Low. Low, who is currently one of the league leaders in minutes per game, points for a defenseman, and shots blocked, has made sure the entire team has bought into the defensive side of the game. After an early season practice with some rather inept defensive play from the forwards, Low called a players only meeting and ripped into the forwards in general for their poor play in the defensive zone. Goaltender Mike Szatkowski Jr. was also rather displeased, noting, “these guys are leaving me out to dry like I was just a wet sponge or something.”

The depth of the Lynx has also done a great job with secondary scoring. When the first line was off the a slow start, the second line, consisting of center Robin Gow and wingers Chop Cho and Petr Janus. Robin, who currently leads the team in points with twenty-two, has carried this line offensively. While Chop Cho is a solid player, Petr Janus is not really someone you want on a scoring line. However, the addition of Jeevan Samuelsson should rectify this situation. Acquired from the Yukon Rush, Samuelsson not only provides more of a scoring presence on the second line, but is also adapt defensively. In the meantime, offensive defenseman Matt Rielly has done a great job providing offense from the back end. The free agent acquired during the S35 off-season currently leads the team with eleven goals.

While the Lynx are off to a hot start, they realize that much of the season still remains. They know better than anyone else that anything can happen with so many games left. However, with their hard work and dedication, it seems clear that this Lynx team has a chance to go all the way this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Content: 3/3 - Well-written and detailed look into the success the Lynx had in the early goings of the season. Well done!

Grammar: 2/2 - Only one small thing to note. Otherwise, pretty damn good.

noting, “these guys = noting, “These guys

Appearance: 1/1 - Jawohl!

Overall: 6/6 -  :cheers:
Edited by Doomsday

Content: 3/3 - A good look at the Lynx so far this season and what's making them so damn good compared to the other teams. Best of luck in the regular season guys, I know you'll all be big threats come playoffs!

Grammar: 2/2 - Doom caught the one error I saw. Good work!

Appearance: 1/1 - Yes ma'am!

Overall: 6/6

FINAL: 6/6

• 1 month later...