Dogwood Heads to Gander

dogwoodmaple

A big fan of musicals, Maple Dogwood was excited to finally have a few days off before the postseason started where he could cross something off his bucket list.  He'd seen "Come From Away" numerous times on and off Broadway and has always enjoyed the story.  For those unfamiliar, it tells the story of the September 11 attacks and how after United States airspace was effectively closed, more than 7,000 passengers were forced to land at Gander Airport in Newfoundland.  The town itself only had a population of 9,000, so this wasn't some big city taking on thousands of strangers on one of the more frightening days in modern North American history. It was a tiny town who fed, clothed, and kept safe thousands of people and did it with a smile and open heart.

"I remember the first time I saw 'Come From Away' and how taken I was with the music and the story. That caused me to do what I always do when I learn about something for the first time - head to Wikipedia. I read up on Gander, on Newfoundland, and on the incredible actions of the locals on the days following September 11th. When I found out I was headed to Halifax I realized that I wouldn't be too terribly far from Newfoundland and made plans to visit the town of Gander whenever I had a few days off," Dogwood explained.

Determined to see some of the countryside, Dogwood endeavored to make the trip to Gander without flying, much to the chagrin of his coaching staff.  Numerous members of the Halifax front office cautioned against this tactic, worried that Dogwood would be too exhausted to do well in the playoffs, but his mind was set.

"First thing I did was rent a car and got on my way. I drove through the wonderful towns of Middle Musquodoboit, Elmsvale, and Greenwood, as I meandered towards the coast. I stopped for lunch in New Glasgow and had a wonderful cup of soup and sandwich. After, it was on to Port Hawkesbury and eventually to North Sydney where I caught the ferry to Newfoundland.  After landing at Channel-Port aux Basques, it was back in the car for the winding drive to Gander," Dogwood said.

When he finally arrived at his destination, Dogwood checked into his hotel, got a very good night's rest, and planned on going to his number one site first thing in the morning.

"The only piece of steel from the Twin Towers outside the United States is right here in Gander, as a part of the Compassion Monument. That's the first thing I saw that first morning and it was incredibly moving.  This entire community has an openness and resolve about itself that is striking.  Everyone I've encountered here was gracious and felt like I'd known them for years.  And to actually meet some of the people who were part of Operation Yellow Ribbon, as it was called?  I can't even describe how the felt," Dogwood explained.

After three days in Gander where Maple saw all of the sights, met loads of new friends, and spent more than a few hours in pubs, it was time to head back to Halifax and prepare for the postseason. Fully preparing to get back in his rental car and make the long journey home, he got a knock on his hotel room door as he was about to leave.

"So I open the door and it's someone from the Gander Airport. They told me that they have a private plane just for me, heading back to Halifax if I wanted to take off from that fateful runway where so many stranded planes were parked on that infamous day. I almost broke down in tears and before I could answer someone whisked my bags away and I was on my way to the airport.  To say that this trip had an impact is selling it short.  What a wonderful story, what wonderful people, and what a wonderful way to spend a few days, honoring all those who helped in that time of crisis," Dogwood concluded.

'

REVIEW: This was such a great and interesting read, this is such a great premise to bring in history and the sim league together. Not only did you tell a story about your character but you touched on an important real life story with enough facts and information that I felt like I learnt something whilst reading this. I honestly wouldn't change much at all about this media spot I think it is quite well written and hits on the emotial notes of that day in history. I might have to go back and read any of your previous media spots if they meet this quality. Very well done