Why?

Earlier this year, my family and I attended a performance of the Ukrainian National Symphony Orchestra, widely regarded as one of the premier Symphony Orchestras in Europe. The concert was truly extraordinary, with a lengthy Haydn second piece with a world famous cellist being one of many highlights. It was the first time I attended an orchestra performance where there were not one but two encores, with the final being the Ukrainian National Anthem. Truly a moving experience, and impossible to separate the real world situation their country is in from the performance.

I decided to create a Ukrainian player in the VHL the week that Russia decided to invade Ukraine. Seeing what has happened since then has not lessened my desire to make Shevchenko one of, if not the best, of my players in this league. I don't have any kind of false hope that this will matter in the slightest to anyone but myself, but my heart goes out to them, their nation, the families torn apart by the brutal imperialism, and Shev is my way of honoring them in their fight to remain sovereign.