The VHLM - the petri dish of the VHL

The VHL - the first point of contact for most first gens and hence making the first impression on behalf of the VHL to any new member. 

A place where HOF careers are forged or draft busts are produced (and anything in between). Ideally, the VHLM team is where newcomers learn how to earn TPE in a way that suits them best, on a sustainable pace. It is also here, where first friendships are tied and are rivalries are born. Be it with an other franchise or individual players.

And because the VHLM is this melting pot of characters where almost everyone goes through in their career, maybe with the exception of speedrunning recreates, the job pay for the respective GM is higher than in the VHLE or VHL. And rightfully so. In my limited experience as a VHLM GM, it takes more micromanagement to find out, how to make it the best experience possible for the individual user. Some need to be reminded on the TPE earning on a regular basis, others are more self-sufficient (and neither of them is 'right' or 'wrong'). Some need or are seeking building advice, others are on their upteenth player and have seen and done it all. 

I think VHL GM's can make an educated guess, what kind of player they will get on draft day, if they pay attention to the patterns these players obtain in the VHLM. Of course it is still possible that high earning and heavy engagement in the locker room  is displayed before the draft day and later on this stream will wither to a trickle. There can be a gazillion of reasons for such abrupt change and most have to do with the fact that we are humans and have to deal with the real world and its effects on our lives.

The job description on a VHLM GM has been discussed a few times in the past, the most recent one that I have read was between @JCarson and @LucyXpher with quite opposing views (or at least apparently opposing). I dare say that at heart, both of them (and frankly, all VHLM GMs) have only the best interest of their charges in mind. As long as this is true, I do not think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way to GM a VHLM team. It may just be that one's style is not what an individual user is looking for in a GM. Some want to be competitive and are happy to get low minutes ice time and to stand back for the max earning recreates to carry the team, as long as they can hoist a cup at the end of the season. Others are more looking for a feel-well oasis, where competitiveness is secondary and they just want to spend some quality time with newly acquired friends. 

I remember fondly my season as a first gen, which was split between the HoundsMississauga (then GM'ed by @N0HBDY) and the Reapers (under the guidance of @Alex at the time). The Hounds had only four human players on the roster, two of which were pretty silent in the LR, and the other two were my brother and I. In the Philly locker room was a buzz with activity and the daily conundrum who will get the 'Reapers Key' after each sim. @Vicewith a player of the very melodic (yet tongue twisting) name 'Cadmael Ixazaluoh' was another very active 1st Gen and got picked as the highest newbie at 5th OA in the S81 VHL entry draft. I was very happy when I saw him making a comeback to the VHL. An other notable player in that for me defining season was Perry Laperriere @KaleebtheMighty who joined the Reapers via waiver and went on to become a Continental Cup Champion, leader of almost everything for the Phantoms (until John Jameson @Frank pushed him off the throne) and whose jersey with the number ten is retired  by said franchise. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

The VHL - the first point of contact for most first gens and hence making the first impression on behalf of the VHL to any new member. 

A place where HOF careers are forged or draft busts are produced (and anything in between). Ideally, the VHLM team is where newcomers learn how to earn TPE in a way that suits them best, on a sustainable pace. It is also here, where first friendships are tied and are rivalries are born. Be it with an other franchise or individual players.

And because the VHLM is this melting pot of characters where almost everyone goes through in their career, maybe with the exception of speedrunning recreates, the job pay for the respective GM is higher than in the VHLE or VHL. And rightfully so. In my limited experience as a VHLM GM, it takes more micromanagement to find out, how to make it the best experience possible for the individual user. Some need to be reminded on the TPE earning on a regular basis, others are more self-sufficient (and neither of them is 'right' or 'wrong'). Some need or are seeking building advice, others are on their upteenth player and have seen and done it all. 

I think VHL GM's can make an educated guess, what kind of player they will get on draft day, if they pay attention to the patterns these players obtain in the VHLM. Of course it is still possible that high earning and heavy engagement in the locker room  is displayed before the draft day and later on this stream will wither to a trickle. There can be a gazillion of reasons for such abrupt change and most have to do with the fact that we are humans and have to deal with the real world and its effects on our lives.

The job description on a VHLM GM has been discussed a few times in the past, the most recent one that I have read was between @JCarson and @LucyXpher with quite opposing views (or at least apparently opposing). I dare say that at heart, both of them (and frankly, all VHLM GMs) have only the best interest of their charges in mind. As long as this is true, I do not think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way to GM a VHLM team. It may just be that one's style is not what an individual user is looking for in a GM. Some want to be competitive and are happy to get low minutes ice time and to stand back for the max earning recreates to carry the team, as long as they can hoist a cup at the end of the season. Others are more looking for a feel-well oasis, where competitiveness is secondary and they just want to spend some quality time with newly acquired friends. 

I remember fondly my season as a first gen, which was split between the HoundsMississauga (then GM'ed by @N0HBDY) and the Reapers (under the guidance of @Alex at the time). The Hounds had only four human players on the roster, two of which were pretty silent in the LR, and the other two were my brother and I. In the Philly locker room was a buzz with activity and the daily conundrum who will get the 'Reapers Key' after each sim. @Vicewith a player of the very melodic (yet tongue twisting) name 'Cadmael Ixazaluoh' was another very active 1st Gen and got picked as the highest newbie at 5th OA in the S81 VHL entry draft. I was very happy when I saw him making a comeback to the VHL. An other notable player in that for me defining season was Perry Laperriere @KaleebtheMighty who joined the Reapers via waiver and went on to become a Continental Cup Champion, leader of almost everything for the Phantoms (until John Jameson @Frank pushed him off the throne) and whose jersey with the number ten is retired  by said franchise. 

Literally the first person I thought to check on when I came back! Good to be back with you friend!