Expand to Where? (VHLM Theme Week)

Advantage

EXPAND TO WHERE? (VHLM THEME WEEK)

Welcome to my theme week submission! While I have something special planned for the next few weeks, I thought I would take a break from working on that (spoiler: some fun Hall of Fame discussion) and talk about the VHLM just this once, as I rarely do bring it up in anything I write.  I have expansion on my mind and while it may be a bit of a pipedream to some, I like to think of some of the cities I would like to see come to the VHLM (or even in some cases…return).  Therefore, here is my top five picks (in no particular order) if we were to expand in the VHLM:

Minnesota - Listen….they were an absolute staple for quite some time in the VHLM.  Minnesota (who was previously both Gothenburg and Oslo in their weird franchise lineage) has represented from S2 to S80 in one capacity or the other.  Since this an entirely North American based league now, Minnesota makes the most sense to return.  Add in that they are a hockey market and I think this is a no-brainer and my ONLY return (yes, sorry Yukon and Brampton fans…I can think of better Canadian markets!).  Admittedly, I am a traditionalist and like the good hockey markets so that tilts it in my favour.

Montreal - So there is a bit of a weird history in this league when it comes to Quebec, but it's one of the biggest hockey markets in the world and absolutely deserves to be represented in the VHLM if it isn’t going to be at the VHL level.  While the Canadiens may be the only team in town for some, I could see this franchise blossoming and racking up their own history if the same faith was shown for them coming into the minor leagues.  Quebec City didn’t work out and some (from what I remember) really didn’t want to play for a french based team (at least based on discussions that were had in the BOG back in the day) but I think that is nonsense and we should see a return to “La belle province”.

Boston - I hate the Bruins but this is a winning market and one that, regardless of how controversial they can be, would support any brand of hockey played.  There is a few major American markets that should be represented that aren’t and Boston is definitely near the top of my list (alongside Minnesota).  A lot of great franchises in town but I can see a place in the VHLM for them as well.

Pittsburgh - The rivalry is already there alongside Philadelphia! I would say the same if Boston and Montreal were to find their way in.  While there may be challenges getting their Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh is a great hockey town and was once voted on some random website called “wallethub” as the second best hockey city (behind Boston btw) in the US.  What does that mean? I have no idea but they would be a great team with a built in rivalry that would be awesome to actually see take shape.

Colorado - A city that has shown support for both NHL and NCAA hockey in recent time.  There is a lot to like about this city and they would be a worthy add alongside Minnesota in the Western Conference.  You could just make this Denver ala the NBA, but either way, they would be my other final addition if I were looking at cities we should expand on for the VHLM.

I agree, good general selections 

1. Boston

Head scratcher. Could have an identity in any league, well, not Europe but you know what I mean

2. Colorado/Montreal or Quebec City

Solid locations, not sure if they'd stick. I was in a league with a team called the Quebec City Voyaguers and they destroyed everyone, because of that I'd rather personally see QC return

3. Pittsburgh/Minnesota

Although I want to see QC return, Minnesota is still fresh in my mind and I'd rather see a newer team. Pittsburgh gets a huge meh from me, it has the rivalry but don't see it being a fan favorite

FOUND THIS, THAT WAS THE GM. HE ALWAYS HAD THE BEST TEAM THREADS 👀

Jara Cimrman (Center, Quebec Voyageurs) - 54 GP, 22 G, 31 A, 53Pts, +13, 10 PIM, 0 Hits, -18 TA-GA, 14 Shots Blocked, 7.43 AvR: Jara Cimrman continues to deliver in Quebec as he took his Voyageurs to yet another ThunderCup Final in his sophomore year of hockey. Finishing with slightly fewer points than last year, Cimrman still got it done as Quebec finished in a fantastic 2nd Place and fought tooth and nail in the playoffs. 

https://x.com/beslvoyageurs

Edited by diacope