VHLE -> VHLM Dispersal Process

Spartan

Good afternoon all!

As you have all likely seen, the league has decided to remove the VHLE due to various reasons. The VHLM Commissioners have been tasked with identifying an appropriate process to disperse any eligible VHLE players to our 10 VHLM teams. After a fair bit of research, analysis, and reflection, @Gustav  and I are happy to detail the process we've come up with.

For starters, a few reminders on which players are eligible to participate in the VHLM in S95:

1. Players must be considered active by VHLM standards - this means having an update on the portal in the last 3 weeks.

2. Players may not be more than 400 TPE as of the VHLM/Finance cutoff this offseason (to be determined, but estimated Sunday, September 29th)

Now for how we will be handling the actual dispersal of eligible VHLE players into the VHLM!

IMPORTANT: Do NOT reach out to any VHLE players during this process. There will be no lobbying or encouraging permitted, directly or indirectly. VHLM Commissioners have the right to void FA signings or E Dispersal Draft selections if we identify any contact with E dispersal players. This notice is primarily aimed towards VHLM GMs, but we will extend improper contact to any member of the community as well.

Currently active or fringe activity players in the VHLE will be reached out to by the VHLM Commissioners. M Commissioners will give the eligible players the option to enter into the VHLE Reintroduction Draft, or to rejoin the last VHLM team that they played for prior to their graduation to the VHLE. Decisions must be made by Sunday, September 22nd so that VHLM Commissioners and GMs have an accurate listing of Opt-In players and Reintroduction Draft players.

Additional details:

1. Drafted players will have rights of 2 seasons with the VHLM team that drafts them

2. Opt-In players will only receive 1 season of rights with the team they opt-in to

3. All players will become FAs at the conclusion of their respective rights periods, and will go through the normal FA process.

4. Inactive players will not be reached out to during this process. If an IA player returns to activity at any point, they will be treated as a normal FA in the VHLM.

5. VHLM teams that receive Opt-In players will lose an equivalent amount of E Reintroduction Draft selections, starting from the lowest round and working their way up. (Ex. MIS    receives 2 Opt-In players - they will forfeit their 2 latest E Reintroduction Draft selections).

VHLE Reintroduction Draft Details:

1. The number of rounds in the draft will depend on the number of Opt-In players, M Commissioners approximate 36 potential selections at max.

-> Ex. If the number of Opt-In players drops the draft pool to 30 or lower, there will be only 3 rounds. In the example of MIS above, MIS would lose their 3rd and 2nd round selections.

2. Draft will be a snake format, with the order being determined by final S95 regular season standings, 1-10. If there is a 4th round, the best teams will not receive an opportunity to select E players, but will receive first dibs in the first round for exceptional performance in S95.

So lemme get this terminology correct....

- Opt-in players are the players that choose to return to their OG M team.  They only get one season of rights for doing so, then become FA.

- Drafted players are the players that choose to NOT return to their OG M team.  They get two seasons of rights, then become FA.

Basic draft information:

- The amount of Opt-in players reduce their signing teams' "Reintroduction/Dispersal" Draft picks starting at the bottom and going up.

- The "Reintroduction/Dispersal" should be approx. 3 rounds

What's the actual draft called?

The "Reintroduction/Dispersal" Draft takes place when?  Before or after the VHLM Draft?

Also, another point of concern, what will happen to the goaltenders?  I mean, there will now be 10 legitimate starters, will there be a backup goalie rule like the VHL?

Edited by mattyIceman

4 minutes ago, mattyIceman said:

What's the actual draft called?

VHLM Dispersal Draft is same as always

VHLE Reintroduction is for the VHLE players. Timing is a bit TBD, we'll have more information after this Sunday and when playoffs end.

Also made a couple tweaks to the announcement, forgot to remove a few "dispersal" mentions since the name was changed to Reintroduction to avoid confusion with the standard VHLM Dispersal Draft. Hope that clears up any confusion!

Edited by Spartan

5 minutes ago, Grape said:

Can dispersal draft picks be traded/acquired? Also, will this occur before or after the regular M draft?

-No, mainly because we would have to work out a whole framework for what could/couldn’t be done with this and it’s all happening on short notice. Hopefully it’s understandable, and it will at least give everyone a few solid teammates for the time being. 

We don’t anticipate making this a live event. It should be doable before the draft, and I get that it would be nice to know what you’re working with before then. 

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

VHLE Reintroduction Draft Details:

1. The number of rounds in the draft will depend on the number of Opt-In players, M Commissioners approximate 36 potential selections at max.

-> Ex. If the number of Opt-In players drops the draft pool to 30 or lower, there will be only 3 rounds. In the example of MIS above, MIS would lose their 3rd and 2nd round selections.

2. Draft will be a snake format, with the order being determined by final S95 regular season standings, 1-10. If there is a 4th round, the best teams will not receive an opportunity to select E players, but will receive first dibs in the first round for exceptional performance in S95.

So in my case of SDM

I would get 1oa in VHLM dispersal draft and 10oa in VHLE Reintroduction draft?

Also assuming any capped players from this season will just stay on the team

Edited by Mysterious_Fish

2 minutes ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

So in my case of SDM

I would get 1oa in VHLM dispersal draft and 10oa in VHLE Reintroduction draft?

Also assuming any capped players from this season will just stay on the team

Yes, the draft order is flipped because that serves the snake order better (top teams will end up with one fewer pick). 

If your capped players are still under contract with your team, they will stay on your team.

1 hour ago, Gustav said:

We don’t anticipate making this a live event. It should be doable before the draft, and I get that it would be nice to know what you’re working with before then. 

Tbh I would, and I think others would as well, prefer this to be done after the draft

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Tbh I would, and I think others would as well, prefer this to be done after the draft

I guess my thought process was that you'd rather get your immediate impact players first (aka the higher TPA E players) and then fill holes or look further into the future with the M Draft. Any rationale from your end as a GM that would offer a different perspective? Not pushing back on it, moreso curious to hear GMs thoughts as well since we're definitely flexible with this.

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I guess my thought process was that you'd rather get your immediate impact players first (aka the higher TPA E players) and then fill holes or look further into the future with the M Draft. 

I definitely agree with doing it before the dispersal draft as proposed for the exact reasons you gave.  The higher TPA players would be like those players returning that are already on the roster and you’d draft new players around that.  

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I guess my thought process was that you'd rather get your immediate impact players first (aka the higher TPA E players) and then fill holes or look further into the future with the M Draft. Any rationale from your end as a GM that would offer a different perspective? Not pushing back on it, moreso curious to hear GMs thoughts as well since we're definitely flexible with this.

My thought is that since the E players can't be scouted, I see them more as free agents and the dispersal draft's purpose is to fill in the spots I couldn't through the regular draft. 

8 minutes ago, Grape said:

My thought is that since the E players can't be scouted, I see them more as free agents and the dispersal draft's purpose is to fill in the spots I couldn't through the regular draft. 

Fully scoutable after the Opt-In period is over, just don't want anyone being swayed or influenced unfairly before that point.

How does a player opt-in to the draft? Will there be a list of players available to everyone after the opt-in point or just gms? 

4 minutes ago, Plate said:

How does a player opt-in to the draft? Will there be a list of players available to everyone after the opt-in point or just gms? 

Gus and I will probably send out DMs to players tomorrow. A list will be available to GMs, we'll make some sort of announcement when we've got more details as well.

2 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

I definitely agree with doing it before the dispersal draft as proposed for the exact reasons you gave.  The higher TPA players would be like those players returning that are already on the roster and you’d draft new players around that.  

Completely agree with this 

Since some teams have, like, 4-5 players available to opt-in, and in the event that they do choose to opt-in...

Would there be a limit on players available to opt-in per team?  Would it make sense if those teams got more players than say, 3 rounds of picks, if there are 3 rounds in this draft?

How would that work?