Familiar feeling, as Malmo fails in the playoffs once again

scoop

I've made the playoffs five seasons in a row with the Nighthawks now, and we have won a grand total of zero playoff series. Not only have we lost every season, but every time it has been against a lower seeded team. It's one thing to make it into the playoffs as a weak regular season team and then lose in the playoffs. That is a bit more expected. That's not to say the higher seeded team always wins. But for us to not win a single playoff series (after we had the best five-season regular season record since the Titans from S53 to S57) is demoralizing.

The familiar feeling I'm referring to, however, is not a callback to any of these previous seasons with Malmo. This devastation that comes from playoff failure year after year is reminiscent of my time with Jacob Stone's grandfather, Benjamin Glover. Glover played with the New York Americans from Season 24 to Season 31. We made the playoffs every season, and we actually did win several playoff series, unlike the Nighthawks. We were the first team to reach the finals in four straight seasons. From Season 25 to Season 28, we lost in the finals. Season after season of disappointment. It was not a good feeling. We had one last finals appears in Glover's final season, but we lost once again, giving Glover an 0-5 record in the finals.

One big difference between then and now is how I let the results of the VHL affect me. Back then, I cared too much about the VHL. I didn't really feel like I had much going on in my life, and I allowed my successes and failures in the VHL and other sim leagues to affect my self worth. So when the team failed season after season, it contributed to genuine despair in my life. I've grown since then (not that I was a child; I was in college at the time). It is not a great feeling to lose in the playoffs season after season, but it doesn't really get to me anymore. Sure, there's still some disappointment, but my emotional investment is much more healthy than before.

The New York Americans would go on to win the Continental Cup in Season 32, the year after Glover's retirement. If history repeats for me, then I guess I'll give an early congratulations to the S97 Nighthawks on winning a playoff series.

extremely relatable, especially now that Riga may win a cup the season after I retire 🤣