Claimed:Lloyd Light addresses team [Final 6/6]

scoop

Lloyd Light addresses Stockholm Vikings

Earlier this week during a Stockholm Vikings practice, newly named captain Lloyd Light addressed his teammates regarding expectations of the past and present. The Vikings won just a single game in the playoffs to bring the team atmosphere crashing down from its high of winning the Victory Cup on the final day of the regular season. Throughout the season, it was evident that some were putting more into the team than others, and that did not sit well with everyone. At times, there just simply weren't enough voices in the locker room. Players who you would have expected to be leaders for the team took no stand and were relatively invisible in that regard. The main offender was Jack Kowalski, who had been the team captain during his first three seasons in the VHL. Light spent time speaking specifically about this sometimes silent team atmosphere and Kowalski's disappearance.

"I can honestly say I am not happy with all of our teammates. Those of you who are actively a part of the team, you know who you are. I'm disappointed in some of the other guys. Last season is over, so we shouldn't dwell on it too much; but I want us to look back to last season to fix the things that need to be fixed.

One of the biggest disappointments has to be Jacko fading into the background. He was a great captain. He and I joined the team together in Season 41, and I thought for sure the two of us would be staples in this defense for years to come. Obviously he is gone, and that is for the better. It makes room for us to add players who will be a part of the team. As your new captain, I have expectations for us to be a team off the ice as well as on. I have the utmost confidence in management to get us some more guys who will be a part of that."

image.jpg

The season was not all bad, obviously, as the Vikings were the regular season champs. Several players had very respectable seasons, suggesting a promising campaign in Season 44. With three of the top ten goal-scorers and two goalies who had at least eight shutouts, Stockholm was a well-rounded team. There are definitely positives for the team to take from this season. Light recounted some of the team's highlights during his speech.

"Nineteen straight wins, that's something we are capable of repeating again this season. Maybe we won't quite get ten shutouts during the stretch. Maybe we won't beat the Dynamo 8-0 again. But we can get the wins. We can do better.

I'd like to take some time to talk about a few players in particular. I know we are a team, but a couple guys deserve an extra recognition. Tom [slaughter], first off congrats on being named Most Valuable Player. That's awesome. You deserved it. I know it doesn't mean much since we couldn't win the Continental Cup along with it, but be proud. We got what we were expecting when we traded for you: a leader on and off the ice. I'm grateful to have these two seasons as your teammate.

Blake [Campbell], man you were nuts. Started off perfect with a shutout in your first start, and it was just a bunch of the same after that. You were definitely the surprise of the season, not that I didn't expect you to do well, but you played out of your mind for a rookie. None of that matters anymore, though. Now is your time to shine. Brick [Wahl] was solid in net for us last season, and I honestly believe you won't miss a beat taking over as the starter."

10353805.jpg

Season 44 is just days away from starting, and Stockholm will be one of the favorites from the outset. In Europe, Cologne and Davos are once again their competition, while things have shake up over in the North American Conference. Two of the three playoff teams from Season 43, including the champions, are moving right into their rebuild. Quebec remains strong, and the Calgary Wranglers will join them as the conference's top tier teams. With four other teams looking very strong, it will be a tough season for the Vikings. However, in typical cliché fashion, Light told his teammates to focus on Stockholm and not worry about the other teams.

"You see all these other teams making big moves, acquiring big name players; tune all that out. What they do doesn't matter. We can't control them; we can only control ourselves. We just need to go out there and play our game. I do have high expectations for this season. I expect the same thing that we expected in Season 43: a Continental Cup. That will require improvement. It'll require more effort, more drive, more determination, and I think we have that in us. We need to bring that out in each other. Don't think that you are just responsible for you. We are a team. This is our season. This is our time."

940-flames-8col.jpg

Edited by Streetlight

Content: 3/3 - Excellent media spot on addressing the team. Kinda reminds me of a end of season press conference and locker clear out. Stockholm will probably be atop of the European Conference again, hopefully you'll be able to take them to the cup!

Grammar: 2/2 - 
shake up over = shaken up over

Appearance: 1/1 - Lovely.

Overall: 6/6