Advantage's Late Trade Review - Edition #7 [Final 6/6]

Advantage's Trade Review - Edition #7

suit-clip-art.jpg

I finally got a new modem which means it’s time to do my last late media spot since I now don’t have to work around the issues that have plagued me for the last couple weeks.  This week I get back to the two trade per article format by looking at an interesting trade with Toronto that led to a cup win, and a terrible trade on my part that was forced by a terrible market and a difficult cap situation.

Season 39 Trade -> NYA/TOR

To Yp5RCrq.png
C - Bennett Wahl (S37)

S41 RIG 2nd (David Blind)

To StPYNLI.png

LW - Riley Stevens (S33)
S40 CGY 2nd (Ryan Cattrall)
S41 CGY 2nd (Raphael Pettyfer)

This trade certainly ended up being far more interesting than I expected.  I was excited to get Munk to help upgrade our second line, as I saw that as the biggest weakness on that season thirty-nine team.  I knew there was also a pretty good chance that I would be able to keep him for a few seasons, which would be useful when it came to having to move Kellinger out for cap relief.  The definite prize that I was moving out was the Season 40 2nd round pick that belonged to Calgary, but I really felt that was probably the only thing of decent value I was moving out.  I was certainly wrong in the end.  That second round pick would be used on solid winger Ryan Cattrall, who started out very strong after being moved to Quebec.  Unfortunately, we would see Cattrall leave the VHL at a young age after looking like a very promising player for quite some time.  The Season 41 2nd round pick would crank out some real value for Toronto as well.  They selected Raphael Pettyfer with the selection who is now a two-time Founder’s Cup champ and a solid depth player for the Riga Reign.  Last season, with the Toronto Legion, he proved to be an adequate second line talent with a 40+ point season that also saw him play very disciplined hockey.  In the end, I still like this trade.  While the value going the other way is solid, I did get the best player in the deal and it did help me win a Continental Cup.  At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

Season 39 Off-Season Trade -> NYA/COL

To Yp5RCrq.png
S42 COL 2nd Rounder (Travis Willcox)

S42 QUE 2nd Rounder (Ivars Klajums)

LW - Steve Tremblay (S38)

S42 COL 3rd Rounder (N/A)

To ewqJmFW.png

C - Wesley Kellinger (S33)
D - Andrey Zadorov (S36)

Well, I hated this trade when I made it.  I knew it was terrible value for what I was moving out, but I was at the risk of getting hit with cap penalties.  In fact, this was probably my worst off-season as a GM.  Despite still having a great team, I mismanaged the cap and moved out Kellinger and Zadorov way too late in the off-season.  People may notice how when I rebuilt this time, I moved guys out immediately.  This off-season is the reason I do that now.  I waited too long and no one was really that interested after acquiring great players that filled up their cap.  Devise even said in the trade thread, “I feel bad for Chris on this one. He knows this isn't value, but he's in a tight cap situation with limited options. Obviously doesn't want to help other teams who are close to New York’s level as well.”  Sadly, I would later realize that trading Zadorov wasn’t actually necessary and I probably could have held onto him for one year.  Shit happens I guess, but this trade still sucks to look at even to this day.  In the end, I traded Kellinger and Zadorov to the Express for two second round picks that returned nothing of note, a depth winger and a third that wasn’t even used.  I did receive eight million in cap relief as well, but this trade would have been much better had I shopped them earlier and had I not mismanaged my cap.  We all make mistakes though, and thankfully the development of Klose and 3 Moons made it not so bad down the road.

There was 3 quality centers in the S40 off season (Lindberg/Kellinger and I don't remember the other one. Therefore, it was difficult to get a good value for one of them.

Content 3/3 - I love these kinds of articles and it's cool looking back at trades you've made and understanding what could've been.

I know from my time as GM of the Panthers how sometimes the situation doesn't allow you to receive proper value.

Grammar 2/2 - Really solid

Appearance 1/1 - As always it's good.

Final 6/6