State of Franchise: Bears Defense [Reviewed]

Mike

Previously we wrote about the current potential and ability of the Bears offense.  To recap the team is filled with potential at all forward positions.  There is raw talent and ability but for many that talent hasn’t been tapped into yet.  They continue to improve mostly on a weekly basis but for some the progress is considerably slower.  The end result though is a good young core of players on the verge of becoming household names.  Defensively the story is actually quite similar.  Part one of this series showing the current state of the Bears offense can be found here:

CANES38-SP-070715-CCS

S46 - Jeff Hamilton

Hamilton joined the Bears as a Season 46 Draftee being selected 2nd overall.  That type of pick does not come lightly as Hamilton was expected to come in and be a franchise player.  A franchise player is not someone who comes in and has a couple average seasons and then jets off.  A franchise player is to come up be dominate at his position and stick with the team for a good portion of his career.

On a very weak team the Bears expected struggles throughout his rookie season.  Hamilton put up forty points and a negative 79 rating.  His shooting percentage was less than seven and he recorded just twenty-four hits.  While that part isn’t seen as a negative since he is an offensive forward the sixteen goals might be.  Hamilton was equally disappointed in his rookie season but coaches note the game does seem to be slowing down for him and nobody works harder.  Many outlets who cover the VHL expect him to be the favorite for this seasons most improved.

S45 – Arcturus Mengsk

Mengsk has recently signed a contract extension with the team keeping him onboard for another five seasons.  In many ways a similar skill set to Hamilton as an offensive defenseman.  He put up 48 points last season with a minus sixty-two rating.  Overall he is seen as a slightly more balanced defenseman recording 186 hits and leading the league in shots blocked with 207.  Mengsk appears to be a solid rock at defense but doesn’t have that elite top level potential.  Moving forward Mengsk is expected to continue as a huge power play asset.  He is expected to continue to develop as a two-way defenseman with an emphasis on his offensive ability.

pittsburghpenguinsvcarolinahurricanesjqc

S45 – Bubba Nuck

Nuck is more of a physical and defensive minded player.  Last season he had the worst offensive stats between the three at twenty-one points.  On the flip side on the awful Bears team he had the best rating at -54.  Nuck isn’t afraid to start fights or set the tempo for the team.  That kind of physicality and mentality is something every team needs from time to time.  For Seattle Nuck is that player for hopefully the forseeable future.

There were some early development hiccups when Nuck first entered the VHL in his rookie season.  Those issues or confusion seem to have been resolved as he has been showing great progress lately.  Coaches and staff within the Bears organization are thrilled with his current work ethic.  Due to the 21 point rookie season he actually stands a great chance at being Season 47’s most improved player.  His lack of flashy offensive skills hinder that but he does what is asked.

Edited by Phil

I love this style of article! It takes me back to my early VHL days where I would write these short blips on a few players on my team. It gives the reader an overall understanding of the team and gives your teammates some publicity too. Jeff looks to me a better Hamilton than Phil at the moment, but will see how David handles the pressure of his two older brothers in the league. Seattle are in a good spot for the future. Bear with them!