Rumblings of Position Change in Americans Locker Room [Reviewed]

Devise

Could There Be A Key Position Change for the Americans This Off - Season?

Rumors around the league seem to indicate that New York Americans defender Thaddues Humbert could be playing a different position come Season 48. Humbert, whom has been a decently effective two way blue-liner for the Americans for two seasons now, is more noted for his lack of goal scoring, discipline, and mental defensive ability both with and without the puck. Which begs one to wonder, why would they consider making a switch? Well responding to a few comments was Americans coach Chris Miller, still enjoying his Continental Cup celebration. Here is what he had to say on the subject.

"We think Humbert is a lot more capable of putting points up than he is currently. You know his player type, it is very a-typical of your traditional playmaking centers. You know he may not have the greatest shot, but he skates very well, he is slick enough to find open ice and he is always thinking of the best way to set up a great pass. You combine that with the fact that as a defender he's been able to smartly and effectively defend while crunching major minutes. But I mean he does have weaknesses. On the blue line sometimes it's nice to have a guy with that bullet shot, or someone who is a more physical presence. So yeah we are considering a move with him to center next season. We think it could be just the thing that gets his offensive production going, and gives us a bit more depth at the key position."

DGK15120849_Oilers_at_Flames.jpg

Brent Burns is one of the more notable players in the NHL who has played both forward and defense.

As training camp begins Humbert was noted for showing up even before camp officially had begun. He was out with his coaches, and former VHL player Thomas O'Malley reportedly working on his faceoff game, and just how to approach the game structurally playing the center position. Media had a chance to catch up with Humbert at the beginning of training camp to talk to him about the position. Here is what Thaddues had to say.

"Yeah, we really started discussing it during the playoffs. They just wanted to know where my head was at, and what I thought about and to get back to them in the off-season here. Well after speaking with some of my teammates, most especially the now retired O'Malley I decided it was probably the best direction for my career. We will be making the news official as the off-season roles on here, but I think it could be a good fit. I mean I think one of my bigger strengths would be my skating game. A lot of the burden of the skating in any game falls onto your centers, they have to be back in deep helping the defensive end, and still have the get up and go to help push the play into the offense and generate. I think it's a very tough position. If there is any huge hurdle for me I think it'll be my face off game. We are spending some long evenings right now just to try to make sure I can get a grip on it. But for a bit here, it'll be a work in progress. I mean when I began working on them a few days ago I was as shit as you can get so. *laughs*  "

After losing two key forwards to retirement, the defending Continental Cup Champions will likely need a bit more forward star power to attempt to make up for the loss. But with the recent edition of Kerkko Hyvärinen and the blossoming greatness of Biggu Kyanon the switch seems to make a lot of sense. Humbert is one of many names who have switched positions in their VHL careers from defender to forward with the most notable switch was that of Conner Low to forward in the midst of what was an amazing career for Low as a rear guard. However if it ends up being successful, Humbert could be known as one of the more notable switches from defender to center, a switch you rarely see due to the added defensive and face off pressures. Either way this makes for interesting news out of the camp of the Cup Champions, as they look to attempt a repeat. 

Great article.  Can't say I've ever seen a defenseman to center switch before,  will be interesting to see how it goes. Good luck! Didn't see any grammatical errors in this one. Was very well written,  no complaints.  Overall nicely done.  Keep up the good work 

• evrydayimbyfuglien changed the title to Rumblings of Position Change in Americans Locker Room [Reviewed]