Claimed:David Collier Off-Season Interview

David Collier Off-Season Interview

We recently caught up with German forward David Collier, who is currently preparing for the first ever VHL Super Cup. That is where he will suit up for the Pogge Sticks and we get to sit down with him for a few question. We hope you enjoy the interview!

Do you think Collier and his teammates can build off their two-playoff experiences now?

“The last two seasons have certainly helped us grow and helped us develop as both a team and as Individuals. I think that we are in a much better spot now than we were two seasons ago. It’s a process that doesn’t just take place on the ice, it is important playoff games or just the regular everyday practice, but that continues after we leave the rink as well. We think the game different now than we did before. We have the postseason experience and that is mainly a mental factor, even though I’d say that we have all taken quite some steps forward in terms of pure hockey skill and athletic ability as well.”

Is it fair to say Cologne may pass Helsinki in talent this year?

“It’s tough to analyze talent if you just look at what two teams have on paper but I’d say that the recent developments certainly favor us and at the very least the race in the European Conference should get a lot tighter. Helsinki is an older team and therefore will have to deal with the retirement of some key players, something that luckily we won’t have to face for a few more seasons. We have continuously worked on improving our game and growing as players over the last few years and I think this is the season where this could finally end up paying big dividends.”

leon-draisaitl.jpg

Do you see Cologne being challenged by Davos this year for the #1 spot?

“Quite frankly I haven’t followed Davos that much, but the same goes for pretty much every other team in the league. I look at us first and foremost and believe that we have a very tight race in the European Conference ahead of us and Helsinki certainly won’t be our only competition. As far as I know Davos is a team that is still growing, just like we are, so it would be foolish to count them out. But I am confident that at the end of the day we have the right mixture of youth and experience to finish ahead of them.”

Do you think Collier can improve on what he thinks is a down year for him?

“I sure hope I can, the past season has certainly been a huge disappointment for me that lead to me questioning a lot of things about myself, my training regimen, the way I play the game and so many more things and I would lie if I say that it didn’t also affect my confidence quite a bit. However I think that I am now at a point where I can accept what happened last year and move on. I certainly can’t change anything about it and there are so many good things to look forward to, especially with me playing on such a great team with other players who are willing to help out whenever they can. I still have high expectations for myself and hope that I can finally be a player that really helps his team this season instead of just being a young guy who uses his lack of experience as an excuse for failure.”

Do you think the pressure of playing at home made David's season harder for him?

“I don’t think that was much of a factor. It definitely was and still is something special for both the fans and me that I get to play in my home country and just a two hour drive away from the place I was born. But while people have high expectations for me, and rightfully so, I don’t feel any unfair pressure from the fans and the media. They have been very patient with me, almost too forgiving at times. They have given me a tremendous amount of help and support in my time here so far, and I’m immensely grateful for that. The only pressure I have is the pressure I put on myself but that is because I want to meet my own expectations, not someone else’s, and has nothing to do with where I play.”

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

Content: 3/3 - I'm not entirely sure what Helsinki's roster situation looks like next season, but if the players on Cologne continue to improve like they did last season, I'm sure Cologne will be a legitimate contender in the European Conference. This group of players may be low key outside of the locker room, but they're all quality guys and deserve a chance at the Cup.

Grammar: 2/2 - Nice! Only caught two.

two-playoff = two playoff

game different = game differently

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid.

Overall: 6/6

Content: 3/3- A nice read and good interview with one of my old linemate from back in the day. Collier and the Express are definitely on the brink of success and I believe you guys will be there in no time. Keep putting up these PT's and Collier will do just fine in the VHL my friend!

Grammar: 2/2- Only caught two more minor mistakes but otherwise nice job

Individuals - individuals

paper but  = paper, but 

Appearance: 1/1- Looks very professional and you got a pic too.

Overall: 6/6

Final: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...