VFL?

atw2592

With the recent mysterious closing of what could have been the best Madden sim league to ever be created, there have been talks of possibly creating a "VFL" Madden sim league that would work alongside the VHL. Obviously nothing other than league ideas have been thrown around, but it is interesting to think of the possibilities. There are a lot of die-hard football sim leaguers who would likely join the VFL, leading them to check out the VHL as well. The point tasks would likely be connected between the two leagues, giving current VHL'ers who have a tough time writing point tasks the opportunity to write about football and still get points for their VHL player. One downside to this idea is that football sims rarely ever last more than a handful of seasons, and running a league on Madden has become increasingly hard as the years have gone by (ie, updating players w/o roster editing tools, finding people who still have copies of the PC game, etc) but the introduction of Twitch-streamed games, as featured by the USFL, have many people around the sim-league community chomping at the bit for another one to start up. These are just fun ideas right now, but it could turn into something real down the line if enough people want to commit to it.

I'm incredibly disappointed in the demise of the new USFL with no explanation. I spent a lot of time setting it up and helping out and for it to disappear without so much as even a warning is lame. 

Bemetsz had a roster editor for Madden 08 I think. I know he was able to customize a lot for us so it's doable.

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18332

There's the list of the tools that are available for Madden, some of them work over multiple Maddens but others I believe only work with Madden 08. Updating the rosters without tools really isn't all that difficult itself though, it's more the creation that's the problem, and from my memory, that was just as difficult with the tools as it was without them. 

Also, I've seen franchise schedule editors on that list, so I wouldn't mind betting that's what Bernetsz was planning on using for statkeeping, but at the same time we don't know if its actually a feasible idea to use them. I think probably the best idea for stat-keeping would be to just have the league simmer update the player stats by team after every game(which shouldn't take too long to update) and then hire someone to use that data to make position-specific tables using those stats. 

7 hours ago, Advantage said:

I wonder if I could get Duckberg and myself to overthrow Wahls and take the league over again! Mwahaha

I don't care who you overthrow, I just want a league.

4 hours ago, boom said:

Only if I can reuse all my Harland Sanders shit.

I would actually be ok with that because of how things at the USFL ended. I have a file ready on Madden 07, just need someone good with graphics to edit the custom art for me. All I'd have to do is download some broadcasting software for Twitch and we'd be rolling.

1 hour ago, Molholt said:

I have Madden 08 :ph34r:

I'd really like to use Madden 08 because it's a way better game, but I haven't found a cheap way to get it. I'm not using a torrent either

Just now, atw2592 said:

I'd really like to use Madden 08 because it's a way better game, but I haven't found a cheap way to get it. I'm not using a torrent either

It's $10 download on Amazon.