The Annoyed Gas Station Clerk Thread

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, tfong said:

Not to brag, but I'm pretty good at diffusing angry customers. Usually there is something they want and they are angry about it because they are stupid and don't want to be proven stupid. So the best way I've found to deflect customer anger is to make them angry at something else.

This is where you blame the guy that prints the flyers with the wrong pricing etc..etc... Basically I redirect their blame lol.

That depends on the customer. A lot of the ones I've found just want to vent their frustration at anyone, regardless of if the person has control of it or not. Cashiers usually get the brunt of price issues for example even though they have literally the lowest amount of influence. No amount of telling customers that we have no control over things will get them to accept that head office does whatever it wants.

What I did find often worked though was to blame the technology. A lot of times our cashes could do basically anything if you have the authorization (which I did) including things that we were supposed to do. For example, a return can only be put on the same payment method that was used (doesn't need to be the same card, just the same type so credit can't get a cash refund). People liked to argue this one with us so I usually just told them that the system doesn't offer us any other option (showing them on the screen that the options were greyed out). Thing is, I could press 3 keys and change that but I wasn't supposed to and they didn't need to know it haha.

People are often more okay with blaming technology than blaming the cashier running it. Plus it doesn't pass the blame onto anyone else.

• Head Moderator

I became quite good at passing blame while working retail. Its not like the customer hunts down the other sources of anger. Its just at the very moment its great for them to know its not their own stupidity lol.

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, tfong said:

I became quite good at passing blame while working retail. Its not like the customer hunts down the other sources of anger. Its just at the very moment its great for them to know its not their own stupidity lol.

Even though a lot of the time it is haha