Osborne Interviewed

STZ

Ethan Osborne Interview

141231714.jpg

Helsinki, Finland - Helsinki Titans' captain Ethan Osborne sat down with Pierre McGuire about the upcoming season, free agency, and the rest of his career. Osborne was very candid, however it was a typical interview from the modest Canadian.

Pierre McGuire: What expectations do you have for Helsinki in Season 36?

Ethan Osborne: We have high expectations as a team. The past few seasons we have been dominant, and we feel that our talent is still there, and we've gained the experience to start pushing even harder in the playoffs. The European Conference has evolved into a stronger group of teams, but we are being heavily underrated. Just looking at the players we have under contract alone, there's no reason we shouldn't be considered favorites.

Pierre McGuire: You mention about your players under contract. What affect does Odin Tordahl have on the Titans as a whole.

Ethan Osborne: Tordahl is a beast on the ice. Over the past season we've all grown really close. In the end he has to do what is right for him and his family. Obviously we'd love to have him back, but we can only focus on what we can control. He knows that Helsinki will love him no matter what he decides - but in the end it's his decision. There's not one set formula of winning in this league. Yes, Tordahl is a game changer, and was a huge asset for us in the past two seasons.. But we plan on winning no matter what Odin decides is right for him. 

Pierre McGuire: Is it odd that the last time Helsinki really made a big splash in free agency it was in signing Yuri Grigorenko?

Ethan Osborne: What do you mean big splash? Free Agents don't guarantee a championship. It may be true that Helsinki hasn't landed a big name, but don't think for a second Higgins hasn't signed some big names. Willie Weber, Brody Hodgson, Anatoli Zhumbayev, even myself.. We all could have left this organization, but in the end we decided we wanted to win and we wanted to win in Helsinki. Those are signings that might not hit the front page, but are just as important as free agent signings. The past few seasons we have developed our talent from within, and haven't had the cap space to go out and make those signings. That shouldn't any indication of this franchise being devalued.

Pierre McGuire: What made you decide to stay in Helsinki for the next two years?

Ethan Osborne: At the end of the day, I want to win. We have won a cup here in Helsinki and it was amazing. We won that cup as a young team - we have grown since then. I signed a two year extension and committed the rest of my career to this franchise because I believe it is not only the right fit for me, but gives me the best chance to win in the next two seasons. This franchise has given me so much over the past five seasons, and it's time I give back. I have not only battled depreciation, I've improved above and beyond it. We have other players who are getting further along as well. I think Helsinki has been overlooked for far too long - it's time we make our mark on the history of the VHL.