Claimed:Re-Tweaking the VHLM Practice Facility

Phil

Re-Tweaking the VHLM Practice Facility

Kid-knocks-beer-can-off-fri.gif

So this idea is raw. Very raw. In fact, I wrote it out all at once with only a minute idea about what the idea actually was. 

First off, let’s get some history down on record. From the time I entered the league in Season 18, the Practice Facility was just a forum where the coordinator posted a weekly thread. Those eligible would then post with their player name and team name and link it to their update thread to claim an extra TPE each week, allowing our most active members to earn 10 TPE every week whilst in the VHLM.

Then a while back (the date is not known in my head but I think it was the early S40s) the BoG decided to try to get members to post more in the game threads. So we devised the idea of linking three posts in separate game threads to the Practice Facility in order to claim your extra TPE. 

There’s some dispute right now about the finicky nature of this change. Some think it’s a pointless waste of time and doesn’t generate any meaningful discussion while others are looking at the bigger picture and realizing that at least there are more posts in the game threads now directly because of this change. 

kane1.gif?w=1000

Now the entire point of the Practice Facility is to give our new players (and especially our new members) a boost to get them ready for the VHL in a timely fashion. If we can kill two birds with one stone by generating more posts in game threads, then fine. 

If we want it more relevant however, I would suggest something a little different. The way I see it is that it’s almost like a mini Team Training Camp. So here’s what I would do, and I’ll use Phil Shankly as an example.

This week in training, I am focusing on bringing up Shankly’s hitting. Therefore, I will be planning to add the TPE from the Practice Facility into Hitting. In order to claim it for hitting, I must find a VHLM Game where either Shankly or another player has made a hit and make a two-line comment about it. For example:

“Oh Wow, I really laid into Bern this game. I can feel the gains already. Definitely becoming more dominant on the ice!”

So I would link that comment into the Practice Facility Thread with a “+1 TPE: Checking”.

This way, there’s a legitimate comment being made that’s actually relevant to your player’s progression and to the game itself. Because it is only one comment, it’s less of a pain to do and it still encourages members’ participation in the game threads, especially if you are using tagging.

This would require a little more effort on the part of the VHLM Practice Facility Manager, as I would suggest that he/she must scroll down through the comments to make sure the comment is relevant to the attribute, and then post a claim list tagging the members who successfully completed the weekly Practice.

If you are updating an attribute like Strength or Puck Handling (one that’s not necessarily visible in the sim, the same thing applies - make a two-line comment regarding that attribute. Examples are below:

+1 TPE: Strength

“Good game from Shankly this time. Looks like I only got hit once. Seems that I am standing my own ground firmly. I’ll be a tank by the end of the season.”

+1 TPE: Puck Handling

“I deked through that neutral zone and around 3 players before shoveling it to Dortch for that assist. I know you can’t see it in the sim, but that’s definitely what happened”

+1 TPE: Rebound Control (I’m now Rubber Band)

“Fun fact: none of the 4 goals I allowed in that game came off rebounds. They were all lucky shots that I was most definitely, 100%, screened on.”

I actually tested it in the Practice Facility this week aha. Here's the post:

So you get the picture. I hope that this re-tweaking actually strikes a favourable middle ground with everyone. I believe it will still contribute to game thread discussions as well as actually be relevant to the reward. Let me know your thoughts and comments below.