GIYGAS Back, Prepared to Work

.sniffuM

When GIYGAS declared for the Season 33 draft, there was considerable hype, as he was brought in by an agent in Damien Walec who was coming off a Hall of Fame player in Tukka Reikkinen. There was also plenty of skepticism from the league's executives because of Walec's diminishing presence in the league towards the very end of Reikkinen's career as well as GIYGAS' pre-draft season, leading to a less-than-impresive total of practice hours going into the draft. GIYGAS slipped a bit to the seventh overall draft choice, but has since failed to make a significant impact on the league. Following a decent rookie year, GIYGAS' improvement from year 1 to year 2 was miniscule. At this point, he was not showing up to practice at all, which caused his third season (his first with Seattle after being traded from Calgary) to fall flat. Things came to a fever pitch when, in the league's inaugural Victory Cup, GIYGAS was a total nonfactor, scoring just 5 points in 20 games. Today, he decided to turn things around.

"I'm definitely rusty, but what can you expect when I've played the last season and change without any practice," GIYGAS said "But playing in the Victory Cup, barely being a factor for my team and being easily pushed over, it brought me back to when I was a draft prospect and what I had imagined for myself in my career. And obviously, I hadn't expected to be playing that poorly in my third season. So I decided I had to re-commit myself."

GIYGAS is playing on a two year deal with Seattle, but there is some speculation about his plans considering next year holds a mutual option. When asked which direction he's leaning, GIYGAS responded, "I'd love to stay in Seattle, honestly, but as of right now, I'm weighing all of my options." With a strong push in practice this year, GIYGAS could attract mid-level interest on the open market.