Smyl posts first shutout of season

Toast

Steven Smyl and the Seattle Bears got off to a rough start, but management turned that around a few days ago, heading into a back-to-back series with Vasteras. Heading into the game, Smyl arguably was one of the weakest goalies in the league. Some fans blame the long off-season for Smyl, who did not get to play in any form of hockey. In the inaugural Super Cup it was well publicized that Smyl deserved to play for the Riot, but in the end rode the pine against opponent Eggly Bagelface for the Riot's 20 games. 

In Seattle's fourth game of the season, Smyl was looking for some redemption against Bagelface and would get that when he stopped all of the 28 shots that he faced throughout the game, earning the first star and one of the few shutouts seen this season.

"After the off-season, I wanted to prove that I was just as good as Bagelface for those who didn't believe that. Thanks to the amazing offense on Seattle, I was able to keep my head cool and focus on making those stops out there. I'm really excited to be part of the Seattle team this season and know that we're looked at as a team that is not much of a threat. I truly believe that we're the underdogs and that we're going surprise quite a few people this season."

A few days before pre-season began, Smyl re-signed in Seattle with a three-year extension.