New York best in puck possession

scoop

As you may or may not know, I have a player on the New York Americans. Her name is Diana Maxwell and, while she did have a much better third season than her first two, I'm still relatively disappointed in what she has accomplished thus far. If the Americans could win a Cup, that would be a great pick-me-up as far as her and my interest in her career are concerned. We finished second overall in the standings behind the Seattle Bears, so we are definitely capable. The Americans wound up with a winning record against every other team, being the only ones to do so (because obviously only one team, if any, can have a winning record against every other team). What surprises me about the Americans is that we finished the season with the fewest goals allowed. Ilya Kopralkov finished the season with a 0.920 save percentage, which isn't terrible, but it did put him at sixth among qualifying goalies. Going into the season, though, defense and goaltending looked like a relative weakness for New York.

New York has the highest face-off percentage in the league, which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. They have four of the top eight players in terms of face-off percentage on their roster. Additionally, the Americans have the highest puck control percentage, at 58.9% (Calgary and Seattle are second and third with 57.1% and 55.2%, respectively). Some more numbers to throw at you: the puck is in the New York offensive zone 49.6% of the time and in their defensive zone just 30.5% of the time. These are both best in the league, with Calgary against coming second in both. New York spent over a third of their game time (37.2%) with control of the puck in the offensive zone. I don't know that there is any significance or what we can draw from this, but I needed something to write about.

for mist4ke

Edited by Streetlite