Dungeons & Dragons

JardyB10

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if people would do a post by post game, removes the need to actually have everyone online at the same time. Just happens to take much longer to move the game along.

Edited by tfong

9 minutes ago, tfong said:

I wonder if people would do a post by post game, removes the need to actually have everyone online at the same time. Just happens to take much longer to move the game along.

we've done it before, Ryan and I. The only issue is sometimes people get off track if the GM isn't super quick with responses.

For example, let's say Ryan makes a move that would trigger an unknown trap the GM is planning to spring. If he isn't there to post it I'll go on and make a move and so on and so forth. Things get pretty off track if the group goes too far ahead of the GM.

Yeah I've seen that happen before too. Back then it was harder to maintain threads and such but now with mobile apps like whatsapp/discord you can get the game played via notifications which is probably a lot easier than waiting to see if someone responded via email or on the boards though I think.

10 minutes ago, tfong said:

Yeah I've seen that happen before too. Back then it was harder to maintain threads and such but now with mobile apps like whatsapp/discord you can get the game played via notifications which is probably a lot easier than waiting to see if someone responded via email or on the boards though I think.

Something I always thought would be good would be to have an oversized party with a swap in or out mechanic, so not everyone has to make every session. Something like a town guard or a military. Have a party of like 15 or so and send only as many as can make the session to the party. Everyone else "stays at base". Things stay fresh too because you can't fall into the same strategies when the party changes so often.

Or kind of a pre-set AI in a sense as well would make it easier.

But Play by emails back then were a lot harder than now where we all have mobile chatting devices that can give us noticiations that we need to respond to a GM action or something though is what I mean.

46 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I'd be in. Me and a couple of friends learned ed. 5 recently, it was way easier than 1/2 imo. 

Really how so? 

Latest ed I really played was 3rd. Only vaguely dabbled with 4th.

19 minutes ago, tfong said:

Really how so? 

Latest ed I really played was 3rd. Only vaguely dabbled with 4th.

Getting rid of THAC0 (which is might be gone in 3/4 idk) was a big one for us, my group had a hard time calculating it and I didn't want to keep walking them through it ha. 

9 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Getting rid of THAC0 (which is might be gone in 3/4 idk) was a big one for us, my group had a hard time calculating it and I didn't want to keep walking them through it ha. 

ThaC0 is still in 3rd/4th.

Edited by tfong

• 2 weeks later...

I've been creating a forum with 5th edition that I'm on the edge of completing. My original idea is to have multiple parties with multiple DMs coexisting within the same world (It's a lot easier then imagined) that can cross paths and have 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 tourney weekly. After a group or person completes the main story, a new story (season) is started and everyone recreates but the map stays the same as it ended. Cool idea I thought.

The only downfall is finding experienced DMs who love running the game. Everyone wants to play but a DM is rare to have. DMs will have a player they can play but in a separate party if they choose too.

4 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Does anyone have DM experience? Also which versions does everyone know/is used to?

I've DMed once but that was back in high school. I've been studying a shit load so I just need the hands on XP. I've played 2nd and 3rd but I've recently studied 5th which I really think I'd enjoy.