Claimed:Early Rookie of the Year Candidates [1/2]

scoop

Early Rookie of the Year Candidates

Last season the vote for Top Rookie was very easy thanks to a very strong season by Max von Hohenzollern. This season, while we do have a similar Cologne forward shaping up, it will likely end up being a bit closer of a race. Of course, we are just a quarter of the way through the season, so we could see a greater separation, but if things continue as they are, I think the voters will have a little bit more to think about this time around. Here are some of the players who I think either right now or by the end of the season will be in consideration.

:col: Alexander Thrower, Cologne Express :col:

@gregreg

Thrower is the aforementioned Express forward who may be this season's MvH. Through 19 games, he is leading rookies with 14 goals and 28 points. This is five goals and eight points higher than the next rookies in each category. He is a more complete player than Hohenzollern, adding in some hits and shots blocked to his stats, as well as a decent face-off percentage. Like the Express from last season, this team in is allowing its forwards to thrive more than you might expect. AK47 and Joel Jarvi take the place of John Sleeman and Niels Skovgaard, giving Thrower a similar pair of forwards to feed off of similar to what Hohenzollern had. He also has MvH back this season doing quite well again. I would say that Thrower is the early favorite for the Stolzy, but there is some competition.

:hel:Daryl Dortch, Helsinki Titans :hel:

@evrydayimbyfuglien

Helsinki is full of good rookies, particularly in the forward department, but Daryl Dortch is the one who I see as having the most potential as far as the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy is concerned. Although teammates Sami Zayn and Franchise Cornerstone have more points, Dortch is a strong power forward. He is second among rookies with nine goals, which puts him second on Helsinki. He leads all rookies with 81 hits and is sixth overall, which is what I feel separates him from several other rookies. Cornerstone may have a +10 rating, but Dortch is left to carry the second line for the Titans, making his rating suffer. He has one of the best power forwards in the VHL, Theo Axelsson, to learn from, giving me high hopes for Dortch throughout the rest of the season and his career.

:hel: Astrid Moon, Helsinki Titans :hel:

@BMax

It pains me to have to put a goalie who isn't me on this list, but simply put, Astrid Moon is having a better season. Truthfully, I was a bit surprised when I looked at his stats and saw he has just a 0.911 save percentage. While I know he struggled at times, I think I'm a little biased toward him given the success he has had against New York. He has played so well against the Americans, a team which should theoretically be scoring a lot of goals against a rookie goalie. I think his stats right now may not suggest that he is in the same league as some of these other rookies, but I only expect things to get better for him as the season goes on. If nothing else, being the best rookie goalie should give voters at least a slight pause in their thought process.

On 2/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, Da Trifecta said:

I really hope that Daryl Dortch wins it over Thrower tbh. I had him pegged at ROY for my predictions so I hope he doesn't let me down. There could also be a dark horse but not quite sure who it would be.

IT'S ME!!!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Early Rookie of the Year Candidates [1/2]