VHL Spotlight: Bobby Digital [1/2]

Phil

VHL Spotlight: Bobby Digital

HagelinCopy.jpg

@gorlab

I haven't written a Media Spot like this in quite a while. I used to all the time before podcasting. But here I present to you with so far one of the most interesting and dominating defensive performances the VHL has seen lately.

I know it's still early in the season, but 34 games in and Digital finds himself third in defensive scoring, just two point out of the lead. The most interesting thing about this is that he has yet to score a single goal. He's got 45 assists and is on pace to finish the season with 0 goals and 95 assists. That would be a pretty impressive feat. I am not sure if anyone has gotten anywhere near that ratio of goals to assists. I'm sure a few have come close, but one thing is for sure: @der meister is looking at his teammate and trying to decide which method he should use to kill him. But back to Digital.

Digital has also posted up a +39 which is 5 in the league and 5th on the Americans. It's hard for a defender to be right up at the top, but there's no question that the Americans' high-octane offence starts when Digital picks up the puck. He's only been hit 56 times, which shows that he does not dwell on the puck for too long. He grabs the puck, looks up, and gets rid of it. That is just smart, intelligent hockey and is a hard skill to teach or coach. It's raw instinct. 

New-York-Rangers-8.jpg

Digital has had a lot of pressure to perform put on him by GM @Devise. He's the only real defender that the Americans have and he's been asked to do a lot. Luckily, Mr. Power was right to put his faith in Digital, as he's right in his prime and showing it. He leads the team in blocked shots with 47 and is second only to Shankly in hits with 106. The one thing he's really struggling with is his production on the Powerplay. He's only put up 6 points (all assists, obviously), despite spending 140 minutes on the powerplay, the second most on the team. 

The simple fact of the matter is that the New York Americans need Bobby to be able to truly succeed. They can try to outscore their opponents every game, and for the most part, they'll succeed, but in order to win the Cup again, they'll need to be reliant on Digital at the back to help their young goalie, MT Power out. The playoffs is a wicked mistress and when goalies start to come out and shine, NYA will need the talent of Digital's defensive to stretch games to double OT when the offense can't do the job... and so far, he is showing that he can absolutely do that for them. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to VHL Spotlight: Bobby Digital [1/2]