Apollo Skye on his way to another MVP trophy?

scoop

Goalies have been getting a lot of love in the MVP voting in recent seasons. Four of the last five winners have been goalies (Unassisted in S52 being the other), and it's not unreasonable to think that Apollo Skye could make that five of six. He's currently leading the league with a 0.934 save percentage, and he is clearly one of Quebec's most vital players. He has consistently been a force all season long. If he ends up winning the MVP this season, he'd be just the second goalie to win the Scotty Campbell Trophy twice, the first being Tuomas Tukio (S37, S38).

It's hard to say who his toughest competition might be. Not taking too close of a look at the numbers, I think the voters may have an even tougher time deciding than they did last season, though I could be wrong. Perhaps I'm not valuing Skye's performances well enough simply because all the top goalies are doing really well. Although, to be fair, while they do get to play against a lot of non-competitive teams, so to do the skaters on the four top teams get to play against weak opponents. It'll be interesting to see how things end up.

I think most interesting of all is that Skye could potentially win a second MVP trophy while not even winning the Shaw Trophy, just as he didn't a season ago.

for mist4ke

Edited by Street x Lite

15 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Theo Axelsson - Over 50 goals on a team that has scored less than 200 total this season. Over 350 hits.

Guntis Petenis - 40 goals, 400 hits, 200 SB.

Axelsson is a good candidate, yeah.

I would have reservations about Petenis due to Riga's place in the standings, but given that Skye did win it last season on a Quebec team that had an even worse record, I guess we can't count him out. Plus Petenis has won nine fights, don't forget about that!