Claimed:VHL-WWE Counterparts Part 1

AwfulHomesick

Bryan-YES-Article-IMAGE.jpg

After listening to the Rift Pajodcast and hearing some of the discussion about Bad News Barrett, that immediately threw the idea at me that I should combine two of my favorite things in the entire world: hockey and professional wresting.

What I'll be doing here is a two part series on the VHL team's current performance this season and maybe their past performances, taking that, and picking a WWE counterpart based on their gimmick, how over they may be (popularity), and other variables. Now, bear with me, I've only been in the league for a month so some of my depictions may be a bit cloudy and questionable. But I couldn't hold off this opportunity until I was familiar with the rest of the league. This first part, I'll be working on the North American Conference, followed by the European Conference next week. Now, without further ado...

IhclZ49.png

Quebec City Meute:

17-5-1: 35 pts

Clearly, the Quebec City Meute are the team to beat this season. They're currently the defending champions and are well on their way of getting their second Continental Cup in the team's very short existence. The team itself does not consist of one sole star but a collection of team players helping each other throughout the season, getting their W's at an alarming rate. Nonetheless, the Meute are 3rd in goals for in the entire league. The team's backbone is arguably Skylar Rift, one of the best VHL goaltenders to ever put on the pads, so despite being a team-first team, there's always the one guy that gets more attention than others. They are considerably the most feared team to play against this season with the Valiq's on the blueline. Quebec are quickly on their way to be a very dangerous franchise.

WWE counterpart: The Shield

reignsrollins.jpg

YTzfe5K.png

Calgary Wranglers:

3-19-1: 7 pts

The Calgary Wranglers last season were possibly once what the Quebec City Meute currently are. With the likes of Vlodymyr Rybak (oh, the irony) and Michal Wozniak enjoying their retirement, the city of Calgary are calling for one more season for the duo to come save the Wranglers out of the hole they've dug for themselves. With their only decent offensive firepower coming from Henrik Larsson this season and being back stopped by Rock Star after Alex Labatte left, the Wranglers are very early in their stages of rebuilding. With only 33 goals for and 110 goals against, there's aspects that Calgary could be reworked on. But for this counterpart, I'll have to be using the glory days that the Wranglers franchise once lived through, winning Continental Cups at least once in every decade season. They're still one of the most storied franchises the VHL has ever seen with a record of 7 cups.

WWE Counterpart: Ric Flair

poor-ric-flair.jpg

Yp5RCrq.png

New York Americans:

10-12-1: 21 pts

The New York Americans are the team that could possibly be the only team on the outside of a playoff spot that could turn things around any time during the season. The team could shake things up with a trade, signing, or even from within with the determination to win more games. Keiji Toriyama once leading the league in points is the one upside the Americans currently posses in offensive zone, with rookie Brick Wahl surprising his naysayers putting up a respectable save percentage but a below average goals against percentage. Connor Low and Xin Xei Xow are well on their way of being stars in the league and this team could be very good by next season.

WWE Counterpart: Antonio Cesaro

file_275737_0_Antonio_Cesaro-e1384045713

(oh the irony)

qA3LVOO.png

Seattle Bears:

9-10-4: 22 pts

After their decent start to the season, teetering back and forth from under and over .500, the Seattle Bears look to be crashing down back to Earth. Offense doesn't look to be a problem for the Bears, with at least 5 players having 20 points in 29 games played so far this season. Their flashy offensive players have been making great plays all season long and always make it to the arena to perform at their best. It looks to be their defensive side of the game that could be stopping the team to be the playoff contender some may have predicted them to be at the start of the season. Steven Smyl has a 8-10-4 record that could be deemed respectable with the defense that's in front of him. They have the tools to be one of the better teams, they just need a few more kinks and tweaks in order to reach that level.

WWE Counterpart: Dolph Ziggler

12121-1671840.jpg

StPYNLI.png

Toronto Legion:

16-6-1: 33 pts

Being a hockey team of any level in Toronto, there's a certain amount pressure that amounts to the team and management to perform at a high level every game, and they're doing just that. Being backstopped by the legendary Remy LeBeau, the Legion are also lead by a collection of European players this season like Lindberg, Kjellberg, and Lebedev. Currently sitting second in both the North American Conference and in the league behind the currently tied Wranglers and Dynamo, the Legion have been making a name for themselves over the past few seasons. Now they are seen as one of the best in the league and could be on their way to their first Continental Cup in over 7 seasons. It seems as if the strong Legion core we're aware of today are here to stay, despite taking the backseat to Quebec in North America. They know what they want and they'll work relentlessly until they have it.

WWE Counterpart: CM Punk

cm-punk-2-1930979.jpg

NEXT WEEK: European Conference :cheers:

This is awesome. 

How about the reaction of the crowd to Bryan on Raw? The E are retarded if they don't put the title on that man! Glad you listened to the Pajodcast sir as Chris and I are avid wrestling fans and have been for a long time now. Anyway another example of a cool Media Spot. A lot may not get this or enjoy it simply because they aren't as interested in pro wrestling but you made me even more of a fan of you with this sir! :D

I actually didn't watch Raw last night. I was planning on skimming through the important portions of it right after I finished this media spot. I kinda spoiled it by going on the WWE website and seeing the headline.

But in terms of Bryan, I'm glad they're giving him a story with the Wyatts. The Wyatt/Punk+Bryan angle was pretty directionless and with their focus solely on Bryan to feud with, it makes them a bit more menacing and hopefully they're taken a bit more seriously as how they were intended to.I wouldn't worry too much on D-Bry. He'll have his real title reign very soon.

Take your pick...

wrestlemania-20-goldberg-vs-brock-lesnar

Fuck Lesnar. BTW the WWE went downhill when they started putting guys like Daniel Bryan and Damien Snadow as their main pieces, those guys suck and their acting is horrible. I miss the old times

Fuck Lesnar. BTW the WWE went downhill when they started putting guys like Daniel Bryan and Damien Snadow as their main pieces, those guys suck and their acting is horrible. I miss the old times

671256e55e7b94c478f77c4dd2aa2641afb98ec7

Sandow won't be a top guy for a while. Daniel Bryan has received pops similar to the likes of those like The Rock and Stone Cold. Too soon to tell how they've impacted the WWE yet, it's barely been a year since Bryan has been considered one of the top guys.

No I honestly find them bad. In all fairness, you can't say "best wrestler in the world" seeing as its partly fake and partly real. I've watched many documentaries on in which cover the in's and out's of the business and the physical demand of it and it's not entirely real. That being said I'm sure he is a great athlete specimen in his own right.

No I am serious and not t rolling.When it came to acting The Rock was the best. It's kind of the same argument one could have about James Bond actors, whatever group you grew up watching is the group you will most likely follow and appreciate more. For me? Personally Stone Cold, The Rock, RVD, The Road Warriors and such were the best and will always be known as the best. But from what I've noticed Daniel Bryan is horrible and that Damien Sandow character is honestly a waste of broadcasting space on that stupid "stuck up" act he carries around. Gone are the days that you feared these guys were actually losing real life years off their lives and their families were being impacted. Now it's kind of "soft core wrestling".

I'd rather have my favorite guys go years of consistent and safe wrestling, than seeing Benoit take constant diving headbutts and chairshots to the head eventually leading to what he did. My all time favorite Edge had to call it quits because of all the spinal damage he did in the ladder matches, high spots, etc.

It was a different era back then. If the "Attitude Era" of superstars that you say you enjoy were just repackaged with new guys, it'd get pretty boring. I was young enough to grow up on the Attitude Era but my favorite era of WWE is the Ruthless Aggression Era. Those were the days of some of the best matches of this century came from. It wasn't as hardcore as it was but you still saw the story being told without the acting of The Rock or Stone Cold. Sure, they're legends, but in their own right. There will never be another Stone Cold. Ten years from now, CM Punk could be a legend through his own form as will John Cena.

No I am serious and not t rolling.When it came to acting The Rock was the best. It's kind of the same argument one could have about James Bond actors, whatever group you grew up watching is the group you will most likely follow and appreciate more. For me? Personally Stone Cold, The Rock, RVD, The Road Warriors and such were the best and will always be known as the best. 

RVD and the Road Warriors? They both got huge in ring pops from the spots they did - but both were mediocre at acting and cutting a promo. Hell, RVD might have actually been one of the best wrestlers ever if he was able to cut a decent promo..

I'd rather have my favorite guys go years of consistent and safe wrestling, than seeing Benoit take constant diving headbutts and chairshots to the head eventually leading to what he did. My all time favorite Edge had to call it quits because of all the spinal damage he did in the ladder matches, high spots, etc.

It was a different era back then. If the "Attitude Era" of superstars that you say you enjoy were just repackaged with new guys, it'd get pretty boring. I was young enough to grow up on the Attitude Era but my favorite era of WWE is the Ruthless Aggression Era. Those were the days of some of the best matches of this century came from. It wasn't as hardcore as it was but you still saw the story being told without the acting of The Rock or Stone Cold. Sure, they're legends, but in their own right. There will never be another Stone Cold. Ten years from now, CM Punk could be a legend through his own form as will John Cena.

Oh I know that, I'm just speaking on what I find entertaining. Despite Benoit doing that, all the things mentioned are part of that business. Go "soft" will just attract a different crop of fans. Growing up it was all about Attitude and who could show more disrespect to Vince. Now whats left is Vicky Guerrero (being very annoying), Daniel Bryan shitting the bed with acting and Damien Sandow's shitty act. In my opinion it isn't fun to watch. I do still watch youtube videos if a legend comes back and surprises. One the all-time best thing is when someone like myself watches it and out of nowhere I hear some legends music and he comes walking down the ramp, it's a good feeling.

That being said, CM Punk is actually good and fun to watch (also helps he has Cult of Personality) as his entrance music. I for one wasn't a fan of Edge, Christian, Test, Y2J, Benoit or Guerrero. I always found them in really shitty story lines. My favourites growing up were RVD, The Rock, X-Pac and Scott Steiner (only because of his cool music and cool shades).

RVD and the Road Warriors? They both got huge in ring pops from the spots they did - but both were mediocre at acting and cutting a promo. Hell, RVD might have actually been one of the best wrestlers ever if he was able to cut a decent promo..

What do you mean by in ring pops? Do you mean spotlight or took huge hits?

What do you mean by in ring pops? Do you mean spotlight or took huge hits?

I think he means cheers.

I think you're the first person I've seen to say they liked watching Scott Steiner.  :P He couldn't cut a promo if his life depended on it. X-Pac was a great athlete, same story as RVD though. Never was good on the mic.

pop = positive crowd reaction

Well yeah I never denied that got huge "pops". RVD was never a forefront guy because they never could bring themselves to have a guy like that out there (he also came from a different path, which I think McMahon hated). The Road Warriors were part of the old school, none of those guys were really that good at acting (except Hogan and his mates).

I think he means cheers.

I think you're the first person I've seen to say they liked watching Scott Steiner.  :P He couldn't cut a promo if his life depended on it. X-Pac was a great athlete, same story as RVD though. Never was good on the mic.

Yeah you notice RVD and X-Pac didn't handle the mic very much though. (Hell X-Pac was a horrible speaker). I never said I enjoyed Scott Steiner in the wring, just his whole entrance and look haha, the guy is a big roid monkey as roid monkeys come.

RVD was never a forefront guy because they never could bring themselves to have a guy like that out there

If by "guy like that" you mean a guy who has no out of ring talent, then I completely agree. WWE is so huge into storylines and selling the fights when it comes to the main event level. RVD didn't cut it because he couldn't hype a feud for the life of him. Any time he's ever been over outside of the ring it's been because he had someone speaking for him. If it wasn't for Bill Alphonso he probably would have had that epic TV Title reign in ECW - which was something that put him over enough to carry on through WWE and TNA.. If he's ever in a prominent role, Vinny Mac will have a manager speaking for him.