Claimed: standings [1/2]

Tyler

S55 Standings

nhl-standings-board-2013-14-weekly-08.jp

Like usual I don't claim to be right so take these all with a huge grain of salt. The 55th season of the VHL is about to get under way one of these days and should promise to be an exciting one. There was some drama during the off season involving goalies and it seems we have (hopefully) moved on from all that. Riga seems to have gained from it the most (no bias) so I can't really complain. Either way, here are the VHL standings for the end of the season, check back in about a months time to see how wrong I was.

10th place: Cologne Express -- in need of a rebuild and with a new GM it doesn't seem likely that Cologne will do anything of note this year. They have no real... roster page at all with just two players (one goalie) on it. They will likely fill out between now and the start of the season but it won't be enough.

9th place: Riga Reign -- and proud of it. Obviously the goal is to tank this year so if we could end up in second last it would probably be for the best, especially if we win the lottery. The team is very solid in nets with two good goalies, but sadly they can't play at the same time so it's likely we will be in trouble. We have only one active skater which is Krigars who is on less than 250 TPE. Either way, it is very unlikely Riga has any success this year.

8th place: Seattle Bears -- another team that is hoping the rebuild gods are kind to them. Seattle has very little going for it but it is still better then the two teams mentioned above in my view. It will be interesting to see how the season shakes out in Seattle with little to play for except a draft pick.

7th place: Toronto Legion -- though not a good team the gap between them and the other bad teams is pretty significant in my eyes. Toronto could actually see themselves moving up a few spots with some good fortune. I think they could even make the playoffs honestly if things go right for them but I do think the Wranglers, on paper are a better team by a fair bit.

6th place: Calgary Wranglers -- pushing for a playoff spot, it may well be enough for Calgary due to the additions made during the off season should be a playoff team. The Wranglers led by the process are a team with an interesting but bright future that should be able to compete as early as next year when a few prospects graduate.

5th place: New York Americans -- a solid team, I don't know where the Americans rank but realistically a lot of the upcoming teams are interchangeable at this point. The Americans are an older team, but they still have the ability to be a contender with a few moves during the season. Led by Diana Maxwell and Unassisted, it will be interesting to see what the Americans game plan is.

4th place: HC Davos Dynamo -- set for the future, that future could be now for Davos who have a young core alongside some veteran depth that should prove noteworthy. The Americans are probably the better team, but Davos will have little to no pressure to play for and that could end up being critical in this season.

3rd place: Stockholm Vikings -- always seeming to be stuck between contending and not, the Vikings are a good team but it remains to be seen how much longer their window can be open. With no first round pick this year (belongs to Calgary of all teams) it will be to their advantage to try and win the league this year but it doesn't seem likely barring a collapse of the other teams. It will take some genius GMing from their GM to get their way out of this, but it should be an interesting season.

2nd place: Helsinki Titans -- it seems odd to not have the defending champs at 1 or 2 so the Titans fit in here. I don't know if they can defend their title, in fact it seems highly unlikely, but they return most of the core that won them a surprise title last year. Not much is left to be said about them, but the Titans are going to remain a title contender.

1st place: Quebec City Meute -- The consensus favorite this year is Quebec and it is for a good reason. An already contending roster they added (possible) MVP from last year Guntis Petenis from Riga for their first round pick which seems a wise move. I would say it would be a shock if Quebec doesn't win, but the sim always seems to have a mind of its own.

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

(possible) MVP from last year Guntis Petenis

MVP, Labatte and Slobodzian award winner. 

Also, I don't think Seattle will finish higher than 9th, they have no goalie for that. 

Edited by hedgehog337

29 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

MVP, Labatte and Slobodzian award winner. 

Also, I don't think Seattle will finish higher than 9th, they have no goalie for that. 

We also have literally one player lol

Review

Nice look at how you think the VHL will be this season. It will be a very interesting season I think. We have Quebec who is the front runner than we have a glut of teams in from 2-6 who could do some damage and surprise people than we have the tanking wars from 7-10. Good read Tyler, my only complaint is lack of color. Some color to spruce it out instead of this big wall of black text.