BLN Interview with Rookie Keaton Louth [1/2]

Beaviss

image.jpeg

Lead writer Kent Burkitt for the popular magazine Blue Line News here with an interview of Keaton Louth, the young prospect of the Quebec Meute.

Q. Not every rookie player has the chance to make the post season, especially a top 5 pick, how excited are you to be running for the post season?
A. Some people have been disappointed with my performance thus far this year. The Quebec Meute believed that they were getting a Defenceman with a lot of offensive upside. So far they haven't received that yet but im working on getting used to the speed of the VHL game. The change really took me by surprise and my numbers are showing that.

Q. Going into the season knowing that the Quebec Meute have  traded away one of their star players, what level of expectations did you set for yourself and the team as a whole.
A. Well leading the VHLM in scoring for the majority of the year really increased my vision of myself in the VHLM. At the beginning of the season I was hoping to be a Top 10 Defenceman in points, so far that hasn't worked out but I'll be addressing that in my practices and my off ice workouts. The team is coming off a cup winning season so expectations in the locker room are high as we know if we play to the coaches game we can repeat. If I can be a defensive wall in the post season I've done my job even if im not putting points up.

Q. You had a shaky start to the season but have recently been turning it around. What are you doing now to better your on ice performance?
A. My start to the season was a bit disappointing especially my foot speed. The speed of the players in the VHL compared to the VHLM is staggering. I wasn't ready for the speed but my main focus right now is getting faster and smoother in skating. As a defenceman I was getting beaten into the corners by the opponents far to often and that was hurting the team and my numbers. Now that my speed has increased a little my team is winning more games and im helping with points more often.

Q. There is always more to the story than just what happens on the ice. How much is the coaching and training staff here helping with your mindset, as well as your physical abilities moving forward?
A. Our coach and General Manager Frank has had a lot of insight on what kind of player he wishes me to be. He has a similar vision as me and its starting to translate into my game. After a few more seasons under his watch im sure ill be one of the best two way defencemen in the league. The off ice advice has really helped as well, they wanted me to stop focusing on just putting the puck in the net and worry about the little things that help us score as a team. At first I was being to focused on my own game and not buying into the system he has worked so hard to put in place. Now that I've fully committed to his wishes for me and the team we are playing a lot better.

• 1 month later...

REVIEW:

40 points for a rookie dman is a fine feat. I think Keaton is gonna score even more now as Quebec enters into the rebuilding mode. He's still young so it only a matter of time when he's gonna be a Labatte award nominee. But for now, good luck with a rebuilding and possibly being a future Quebec franchise def. 

@Beaviss

• DollarAndADream changed the title to BLN Interview with Rookie Keaton Louth [1/2]