Will the Senators shock us and make the playoffs?

bagelbitesisbae

(Likes on my content are much appreciated! Thank you all for all of the support recently. I’ve gotten so far in VHL in such a short amount of time because of you guys letting me use this platform as a way to share my writing skills. Thank you, the future is still waiting!)

On Twitter quite recently, the Senators’ Twitter page tweeted that they have a plan to be a successful team this upcoming season. Their tweet also said that they’d like their fans to contribute to their success. Don’t you think that’s a little sketchy considering no other teams’ Twitters do that? We all know they’re stuck between a hard place. 

A couple months ago, there were speculations that the Ottawa Senators might get bought out and relocated. The owner, Eugene Melnyk, shot down the rumors and said that he had no intentions of selling the Ottawa Senators. There was a problem right after the other with former Ottawa Senator Mike Hoffman’s girlfriend. There was speculations that Mike Hoffman’s girlfriend, Monika Caryk, was the person who was cyber bullying Erik Karlsson’s wife’s unborn child. Nothing has been confirmed that Monika Caryk was the person who was cyber bullying. Mike Hoffman soon got traded away due to the scandals which really hindered the Senators because they barely got anything in return. It was confirmed that Mike Hoffman was traded due to the scandals with his girlfriend. 3rd time was a charm and there were trade rumors that Erik Karlsson might be going to the Dallas Stars or the Tampa Bay Lightning. Ottawa probably wanted Mikhail Sergachev in return for EK from Tampa Bay so no trade happened. Then, Ottawa probably wanted Miro Heiskanen from the Dallas Stars so no trade happened. Pierre Dorion confirmed that he tried to sign EK to an extension, but he declined probably due to the term and money. EK probably saw what Drew Doughty (defenseman of the Los Angeles Kings) got as a salary and Ottawa probably didn’t offer him 11 million. None of us expect Erik Karlsson to re-sign with the Ottawa Senators so will they get what they want in return for EK? We have to wait and see. 

The Ottawa Senators signed Mark Stone through using arbitration so the contract length is very short-term. Matt Duchene’s contract ends after this upcoming season and he’s waiting to see what happens to Erik Karlsson before he commits to the Ottawa Senators. Erik Karlsson will probably leave, and if EK leaves Mark Stone and Matt Duchene may be inclined to leave this deteriorating organization in the Ottawa Senators. Everything is falling apart for them. 

The draft rolled around and everybody, especially the Colorado Avalanche were waiting to see what Ottawa would do with their pick. A bit ago, the Matt Duchene trade included Colorado getting a 1st round pick with restrictions. There was a 50/50 chance that they’d use it because they knew that their team was falling apart. They decided to use their 4th overall pick on Brady Tkachuk (brother of Matthew Tkachuk and son of Keith Tkachuk). The Colorado Avalanche get their 1st round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft. The 2019 NHL Draft is supposed to be very deep (I might make more content about the different prospects we might see there!). Now Ottawa can’t lean on their pick for next year and tank. They’re going to battle it out because they don’t want the Avalanche to get something good out of their pick. 

If the Ottawa Senators manage to keep Mark Stone, Erik Karlsson, and Matt Duchene throughout the season, the Ottawa Senators shouldn’t be peeing the bed. They have Brady Tkachuk and young defenseman, Thomas Chabot. If Craig Anderson can find his fire power that he had a couple seasons ago, they could have a shot at the playoffs. 

I have no conclusion, but I’m going to leave it up to you guys to decide! Comment down below what you think! 

15 minutes ago, oilmandan said:

Interesting take. But I don't think Karlsson finishes the year in Ottawa. The only thing they'll be fighting for is to keep 1st overall from going to Colorado 

Yeah, I think Ottawa will get something for him. I just don’t know when that will happen if it even happens. The domino effect is going to happen where EK leaves, Stone leaves, and then finally, Matt Duchene leaves.