Goalies are a special kind

Sova

As most of you probably already know goalies here have it tough since there are very few spots to fill and there are many great goalies on the market which makes the chances of being picked up rather slim except if you are one of the top TPE earners and I want to share my thoughts on this issue and if there is a way to fix it.

First of at least in my mind, it is unrealistic creating more available positions for goalies since it is quite rare for backups to see playing time in reality too so the idea of having backups playing almost half of the games is something I think should not be considered. The next thing to consider is that other sports like Football and to a lesser extent Baseball struggle with similar difficulties but there the stiff competition is one of the reasons people choose to be a QB or a starting Pitcher and it is not seen as much of a drawback.

This is why I personally think that people who want to be a goalie choose to take the hard way but its there choice and so there is little reason to change the way the position works because that might affect the league in unforeseen ways. 

I agree as goalies we all take our chances. There is both great risk and reward playing as a goalie. Those who are passionate about the position know that it is competitive out there with lots of prospects and few spots. The only thing I personally disagree with is how many GM goalies there are but I don’t think that option should be taken away,  just hoping that it will be more balanced in the future to make room for some rookie goalers.

1 minute ago, BladeMaiden said:

I agree as goalies we all take our chances. There is both great risk and reward playing as a goalie. Those who are passionate about the position know that it is competitive out there with lots of prospects and few spots. The only thing I personally disagree with is how many GM goalies there are but I don’t think that option should be taken away,  just hoping that it will be more balanced in the future to make room for some rookie goalers.

I totally see where you are coming from GMs "hugging" goalie spots is a bit concerning in my eyes at least.

Just now, Sova said:

I totally see where you are coming from GMs "hugging" goalie spots is a bit concerning in my eyes at least.

I don’t hold it against the ones who are passionate about the position but the ones who do it to ensure they always have a ‘good’ goalie instead of drafting one is what concerns me... they could make us obsolete in the VHL.