HC Davos Dynamo: The VHL's basement dweller [1/2]

Matt_O

Even with the draft additions of Elias Dahlberg and Piotr Jerwa, the HC Davos Dynamo are as bad as ever, and it is a shame. After last years devastatingly awful season, they appear to have barely improved at all, with only seven wins in their first 42 games, and they are currently in the midst of a ten game losing streak. That is just dreadful. The second worst team, the New York Americans, have double the amount of wins as HC Davos. 

Take their top player, Alvaro Jokinen. He has 410 TPE and 34 points, which is quite good for a defenseman. But then you compare it to the Riga Reign, who have only three players with a lower TPE total than Jokinen, and one of them (Anthony Dabarno) is inactive. I mean, that's just insane. Only five players in the VHL have less than 100 TPE. HC Davos has four of those players, including a player with 89 TPE. Most players in the VHLM have more than that, and many have almost double, or even 100 more TPE than him. 

Not only is the depth extremely lacking and hardly even there to begin with, they also lack the star power to compete with other teams. Their top player from last year was The Charm, but they traded him to Seattle for their second round pick this year and next years first round pick. Seattle has been extremely successful this year, and The Charm is a key part to their success. He has 45 points and has the third highest total on the team. They also traded Shawn Brodeur and Adam Warlock to the Toronto Legion for a haul of picks and Rhett Stoffiday, which is actually a very solid move.

Now lets take a look on the bright side. HC Davos has three first round picks this year. They have their own pick, Toronto's pick, and Seattle's pick. They also have Elias Dahlberg, who is an elite talent, to say the least. They have six picks in the first three rounds, but the only bad thing is they have no picks after that. They do have quality picks, but they don't have quantity. Another problem is that the next season, they only have three picks as of now, since they have traded all of their own picks besides their first and fourth round picks. They also have Seattles first round pick for next season, which they got from when they traded The Charm to the Bears.

If someone asked for a timetable as to when HC Davos will get better, I don't know. Maybe this is just Trust The Process 2.0. I mean, that strategy did work for the 76ers of the NBA, who have one of the best teams in the league. I would have to give it this year and next year of being horrible, barring any trades or free agent signings, and then they can begin to return to competance. I would say they have three more years including this one of missing the playoffs, maybe four years if things don't pan out. It is a tough road to go down, but it may turn out for the best, only time can tell.

• 2 months later...

Review: Great article, good look into the HC's struggle and a bit of their future. Try adding some photos, titles or color to your articles to take them to the next level! 

Nice work!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to HC Davos Dynamo: The VHL's basement dweller [1/2]