Claimed:Roberto Martucci: A True Pack Member

Kyle

Roberto Martucci: A True Pack Member

tumblr_m5ijr5V7ff1r4zbcoo1_500.png

Martucci Celebrating Season 35 Continental Cup Victory

This past off-season saw Roberto Martucci moved to the Helsinki Titans in exchange for Gregory Glass, while most saw this as a relatively minor move not many know that Roberto Martucci actually had huge impacts in the Quebec franchise and is considered one of the better players in the short history of the franchise. So, while Martucci may be seen as some as a player with spotty activity, in the Quebec City locker room he was a team favorite and a player that meant a lot to those who played with him.

Drafted 6th overall in the Season 30 Draft by the Vasteras Iron Eagles, Martucci was considered a big time prospect and quickly shot up the draft boards. At the time,  it was thought that Vasteras had received a great value pick with Martucci at 6th, but soon that idea would be washed away. Roberto’s development after the draft stalled heavily, due to personal life issues that needed to be sorted out. After a season with little to no improve in the VHLM after his draft year, Vasteras traded Martucci closer to home in Quebec City for a Season 32 2nd (Moe Mills). This would prove to be perhaps the best trade in the history of the Meute, where Martucci would return to the league with a vengeance.

Martucci would once again start developing quickly once he arrived in Quebec City, making his debut in the VHL in Season 31, where he finished 3rd on the team in scoring with 61 points in the Meute’s inaugural season. Martucci’s sophomore season would see him take his game to the next level where he managed to break the century mark in points, finding chemistry with superstar Alex Valiq on the powerplay. Many who saw Martucci as a bust were quickly eating their words as he was producing at a level that nearly nobody expected of him at any point in his career. Following his 107 points in Season 32, Martucci followed up with an 88 point performance in Season 33 and a 97 point performance in Season 34. Roberto established himself as a player who just knew how to produce for his team, and he continued to do it consistently since his rookie season.

tumblr_m1bv5vWmrL1qfurixo1_500.jpg

Although it seems that age has seemingly caught up with Martucci finally (88 points in Season 35 and 67 in Season 36), he still has never dipped under 60 points in his career. For someone who many believed was a hopeless cause after his development dropped off the charts after Season 30, this is quite amazing. Not only was Martucci a valuable member to the Quebec franchise on the ice, he was also one of the best leaders the franchise had. Roberto Martucci held the assistant captaincy for the Meute for 3 seasons, including one where the Meute were considered a serious threat for a Continental Cup victory. Martucci, though not even a blip on the radar for most who follow the VHL, was a massive part of the Quebec City Meute culture and will be remembered as a player who believed in the franchise when nobody else did.

While Quebec added a position of need when receiving Glass in the trade, the loss of Martucci out of the Meute locker room will certainly be one that is disappointing for some players, particularly the Valiq brothers who have built a strong relationship with Roberto over the years.  After his retirement at the conclusion of Season 37, Martucci will likely have an appreciation night in Quebec City. Although it’s highly unlikely he will have his number retired, Martucci will be remembered as a team and fan favorite for the Meute and will be honored as such with a night in Quebec City where they can celebrate his successes with the team.

Edited by Kyle

For Vasteras, this ranks somewhere down with giving up on Collier.

I don't blame Vasteras for trading me though. At the time I wasn't very active and didn't plan on being that active. After I had gotten drafted, I left both the VHL and SHL for a couple of months, so to get a 2nd out of me wasn't that bad. I happened to come back and decided to stick with Martucci rather than recreate and it just turned out the way it did.

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

646 words. This was a nice little Media Spot on Martucci, who doesn't really get the recognition or spotlight like he could. This 'Spot identifies and outlines the importance of Martucci and the small intangibles that he brought outside of activity.

Grammar: 2/2

Small stuff.

know = knew

in the = on the

time,  it = time, it (spacing)

88 point/97 point = 88-point/97-point

who = that

Appearance: 1/1

Clean and consistent with the pictures.

Overall: 6/6

Edited by Svoboda_3