From Undrafted Signing to Assistant Captain

rjfryman

There was a lot of turmoil in the heart of Julius Freeman when he realized he was too late for the VHLM draft. This cause a fire to be lite in his heart to push himself past all previous thoughts of ability and made him consider his future in the league. He reached out to a number of General Managers and each had pros and cons but one gave him the straight truth and told him it would be a tough road and that nothing would be given. Talking with Anthony Rogers he told me that it would be tough to be a star on the team but if I worked hard and fought with every fiber of my body I could possibly make the second line. So I signed and all through training camp where I meet with every teammate I showed the ferocity of my game but with the kindness toward my fellow teammate. I worked hard but encouraged everyone to push themselves to the limit as well. This continued all through training camp until the final day before we took a break to rest before the season started. The coaching staff said that we were to pick our own captains that no one was a given. I put my vote in the hat like everyone else and was excited to see who would end up being voted as the captains. When Anthony tailed the votes and was ready with the results he gave them to Aran Thranduil the AGM to read off.

Assistant Captain: Rhye Tyr. I was so excited since he was a solid defender who has helped me learn the ropes of how to stop opposing offensives in their tracks.

Assistant Captain: Julius Freeman. I was shocked and delighted, I would be lying if I wasn't wanting the position but never would have thought that I would get it since I was an undrafted rookie who just joined the team.

Captain: Dimitri Volosenkov. My mentor on the ice and now my Captain. Wow, this guy is going places maybe he will go 1st overall next year in the VHL draft. The sky is the limit with this guy. Once everyone congratulated me we were given a few minutes to say a few words.

Dimitri said some great words like 'Let’s keep this train rolling all season long and go for a cup. I believe in this squad and I have faith that we can be serious contenders.'

Rhye liked to let his on-ice performance do his talking so he was short and sweet and almost said the exact same thing as Dimitri.

When it was my turn I didn't know what to say but I tried my best and said: 'I know I'm new here but I am truly grateful for your belief in me. I will do my best to make it so that your faith in me was not put in vain. We are more than the Captains and Assistant Captains. We are a team first and foremost, and together we will push Halifax past the point where past teams have fallen short. We will do this for them, We will do this for Us, We will do this for all future Halifax.'